Dogeared Jewelry - perpetrating the myth

Wendy they certainly did have access to 22K - in many places around the world the "raw" gold as its found as grains\nuggets can be of around that purity or better.

One of the issues with using sterling scrap - is that its like forest gump's chocolates - your never quite sure what your going to get. Its much safer and easier to start out with known ingredients.

I used to do some work for Jason Ree - a master jeweller in Sydney - his Mokume work is lovely http://www.jasonree.com.au/jr_mokume_gallery.html

DH was reading this over my shoulder and mentioned that the Arabs did this technique with steel back in the middle ages - a quick search on Damascus steel will bring up some interesting pics.

Bernadette, thank you for the link... I love the patterns in this work - very Australian!
I also love the work that Heidi included earlier - these designs are amazing. I have not had any exposure at all to metalworking, so this is all new, and quite intriguing!

Here is a photo of the ring I just had made which uses keum-boo technique.

The artist is Studio 94 on Etsy, LINK and she is amazing to work with.

Attachments

• studio94_3.jpg
    studio94_3.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 34
Thanks guys!

I did furnish the pearl - it was an auction win from Augustus on eBay. As soon as the pearl made it to me, I made sure it was as beautiful as I had thought and then shipped it off to Taiwan for Hsiu-chen to work her magic.

I will model as soon as it gets here! She just sent photos this eve & I was so excited I had to share. :)

Truly, she is very talented and so very easy to work with. Even my overly picky, designer self was satisfied. And....she was FAST. Less than one month since I sent the pearl off to her and it's already coming back to me all done up.

She has been doing more and more enamel work, which I think is really interesting.

Unique in all the world - your custom made ring. What a rush it's going to be to put that on your finger. I can't wait to see it on your hand. ;)

Back