Laurie Kaiser designs

Heidi

I just saw this designer's work on the Katy Beh website. Very pretty botanical references in yellow gold designs.

Laura Kaiser South Sea pearl earrings

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty interesting design, compliments the drop pearls perfectly although I find them just a little bit too covered up.

Very true - both of you. I see this approach as a good way of handling pearls you don't want to drill or, alternatively, lower grade ones. It is rather luxe in use of materials which appeals to me, personally.

Hi Heidi,I suspect that the pearls will have been half drilled and set into the mountings, for stability otherwise they would rattle around, shift about and scratch possibly on the gold.
Indeed I think that the bits that curl under the pearl to an end will also have been set into the pearl with a short drill hole and spike for stability otherwise they will bend and snap at the first snag. And if they haven't been then maybe they should have, for that very reason.
Pretty is one thing but they have to be wearable too for happy customers

Thanks for the clarification Wendy - I know more about gold work than gem setting... I have seen this artist's other designs and many where she works with a form that's a cabochon, which would work for a blister or mabe. Those appear to be bezel set with some of the leaves, etc. just worked a bit over the edges. From a jewelry standpoint, those seem very stable.

Looking at this design I am reminded of something posted elsewhere on this forum, I think in Beaders..., where someone was working on a wire-wrap effect to make little cages for the pearls. a concept we all like but that really does seem difficult to pull of well.

Last edited:

Those are lovely ways of handling undrilled pearls. I went searching to find the one I was thinking of; it came out of the beader's special thread:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/lowly-beaders-club/3235-beader-special-11.html#post47374

On page 11-12 of this thread some of the technical issues were discussed, all in the context of wire wrapping.

Back