How to Wear Pearls

kojimapearl- Pearl Charms

kojimapearl- Pearl Charms

kojimapearl - Sarah
Absolutely love your low waist pearls charms. A gold bracelet with these pearly charms would be so fresh for those of us not dressing for the red carpet! Thank you for the pic.

Last edited:
InStyle magazine's October issue, page 108 has photos of celebrities, Rihanna, Kathryn Heigl, etc., wearing multiple pearl strands.

Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle ad: Keira Knightley wearing 2 tin cup necklaces.

Attachments

• keira-knigtley-coco-mademoiselle-2009-ad.jpg
    keira-knigtley-coco-mademoiselle-2009-ad.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
InStyle magazine's October issue, page 108 has photos of celebrities, Rihanna, Kathryn Heigl, etc., wearing multiple pearl strands.

Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle ad: Keira Knightley wearing 2 tin cup necklaces.

Nice!! I love multiple strands, all kind layered looks :)

Kojimapearl: What a great pearls you've got! And the waist charm idea is really good. It is wearable with many different kind of dresses and pants!

Maria

The uniform seems to be the same as years past, clean decollete, earrings, maybe a bracelet here and there. Hard pressed to find a necklace of any type.

That's what I noticed, too. Except for Sandra Oh's gown, all of the symetrical necklines would have been enhanced with pearls.

Do you think it's a sign of the distressed economic times? Maybe the actresses thought it would be in poor taste to appear to flaunt jewelry? a sort of 'Marie Antoinette' reaction formation?

Well, I bet Jeremy's suggestion book will stick in their minds and result in many private wish lists. I'll be watching for his items to show up in future photos of the stars, wives and partners. That'll be fun!

That's what I noticed, too. Except for Sandra Oh's gown, all of the symetrical necklines would have been enhanced with pearls.

Do you think it's a sign of the distressed economic times? Maybe the actresses thought it would be in poor taste to appear to flaunt jewelry? a sort of 'Marie Antoinette' reaction formation?

Well, I bet Jeremy's suggestion book will stick in their minds and result in many private wish lists. I'll be watching for his items to show up in future photos of the stars, wives and partners. That'll be fun!

I think, in general, they like the bling factor of diamonds. Helen Burnstyn had layers of necklaces that include a strand of pearls.

Michelle Obama wears pearls

Michelle Obama wears pearls

Michelle Obama in Copenhagen

Attachments

• r-MICHELLE-OBAMA-large.jpg
    r-MICHELLE-OBAMA-large.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 37
OOOOOH YUM!
Well? are they yours Jeremy?
I wonder if they are hooked up like that permanently, or if someone spent hours playing to do that. Very clever, subtle layering of sizes.
Spectacular.
OK
OK
I'll stop gushing...

(As if you could get me to stop...)

I'm guessing Michelle Obama was wearing faux pearls - the big ones look way too big and round, and it's probably easier/lighter to wear than real pearls. With faux it would be easier to string in shorter lengths and get them hooked together in a unique pattern like that.

I seem to remember, Michelle has a Rhodium ring. Rhodium is so expensive, normally it is used to plate over white gold, to give it that clean white almost chrome look, rather than dull yellowish grey. One little bottle of the solution (ie its diluted!) for plating, costs nearly $1000 here.
So its possible they are just amazing real pearls... isnt it... please let us dream...

I'm sure she can afford real pearls, but it looks really monochromatic (though dyed freshwater can look like that) and looking at the size the big ones have got to be 12-13mm. I still think faux. Nothing wrong with faux pearls - they can make as much of a fashion statement as real.

They could easily be a loan arranged by the photo stylist if real. I loan pearls to stylists often for shoots.
Btw - does MO have mumps or some mouth problem or is that a seriously unflattering photo of her. it is badly lit, and she looks as if she is posed against a photo background rather than anything real..it does not even look in focus

The smaller freshies won't be that expensive anyway, so I don't think cost would be a problem there - those are too small to be Tahitians. The big ones might be, but noone really dyes high-grade freshwater pearls especially in that size and they still don't look Tahitian. I know we can't really see the surface, but they look too round/uniform and shiny. Something about them just screams fake. It is a creative use of pearls, but I don't quite fancy the color. Why is it such a big deal about whether it's real or not anyhow? It's a nice style that we can modify to use on ourselves and it promotes wearing pearls with everyday outfits. Again, I'm just stating my opinion/observation that they might be faux, it does not detract from the fashionability of pearls themselves.

Last edited:
Yes, those are glass pearl. And it's a photo background. Since I am so opinionated, I must add that I love the croco pattern. See link http://mrs-o.org/

"The first lady gave a speech this evening at a dinner in support of Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid. In a change of ensemble, Mrs. O wore a custom electric blue jacquard sheath dress by Jason Wu accessorized with a glass pearl necklace by Erickson Beamon. More to follow"

It's the designers' "Peace at Last" collection http://www.charmandchain.com/products/peace-at-last-necklace

Attachments

• RTXP4V4.jpg
    RTXP4V4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
She has worn Ms. Erickson and Ms. Beamon's pieces in other events http://mrs-o.org/newdata/tag/erickson-beamon?currentPage=2

"White House Photo / Samantha Appleton What a tremendously busy day for Mrs. O! It seems the First Lady also hosted Jordan's Queen Rania in the Yellow Oval Room at the White House this afternoon. First Lady Mrs. O wears a pleated taupe chiffon dress, last seen for a daytime event during the Democratic National Convention. See our earlier post here. This dress is one that eludes us. Truth be told, we've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to identify it. We've wondered if the March issue of Vogue perhaps held a clue. In his interview with Mrs. O, the great Andre Leon Talley wrote, "The day of our interview at the Hay-Adams, she wears a soft, silk-crepe accordion-pleat dress by 34-year-old Thakoon Panichgul." If only he had hinted at the color! Update: The dress has been confirmed as Rodarte! The dress is from the Mulleavy sisters' Fall Winter 2007 collection. It is 100% linen, with a feather bow belt. An additional image of the dress can be seen here. Mrs. O also wears a trio of glass pearl necklaces by Erickson Beamon, from their "Peace at Last" collection. The necklaces can be seen in detail, here."

Attachments

• flotus_queenrania_sa-0665lo_hi-res-530x353.jpg
    flotus_queenrania_sa-0665lo_hi-res-530x353.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
They could easily be a loan arranged by the photo stylist if real. I loan pearls to stylists often for shoots.
Btw - does MO have mumps or some mouth problem or is that a seriously unflattering photo of her. it is badly lit, and she looks as if she is posed against a photo background rather than anything real..it does not even look in focus

Wendy,
I think we're seeing a case of SERIOUSLY bad lighting. Super bad.

Random aside: There once was a hilarious Seinfeld episode wherein Jerry was dating a beautiful woman who always seemed to get caught in terrible lighting so he didn't really know what she looked like/was always surprised. Probably hard to convey, but funny; I always think of it when considering how important balanced lighting is to photographing people.

Back to the style topic, apologies.

So true about lighting, and color, and overall silhouette.

She has got to GET AWAY FROM BELTS, and dresses that nip in at her natural waistline. If she wore two piece outfits with short, skimming over the curves tops that were hemmed an inch or two below her natural waistline, and slim fitting skirts, she'd be a total knock-out. Chanel suit, from the 60s(?), only NOT THE BOXY JACKET STYLE! and NO FULL FROM THE WAIST SKIRTS! This blue dress is getting closer to what she needs, but isn't quite there yet.

That's it! I'm going to write her secretary, or email someone. This B**** (me) has got to get in motion. She (or staff) accept and evaluate feedback from the public, you know. Did anyone notice when she lightened her dramatically dark eyebrows toward the end of the campaign? I'm thinking Focus Groups! (Her dark, very low over the nose eyebrows made her look angry to the public). Has anyone noticed that when she feels 'comfortable' in her outfit her posture is good?and that she rounds her shoulders when she knows something is 'off'.

Darn. I'm back on the soapbox. Pls Forgive. But, I am right.

I do wish I had her arms and pearls.

Last edited:
Back