Pearl Vogue

Valeria101

'Tad scary stuff:

(Vogue Online) "Culture Club: Designers take a shine to pearls"

The presentation misses the line that may have sprouted many of its items - the boules of Dries van Noten last summer.

Not sure I can justify the editor's calling those things 'pearls'! Most of the objects clearly are not, not even possible among pearls...

What seemed interesting is the 'message' that come out of all that: that pearls need to look like something else to have a shot; better fake then common, even! Your call whether the approach is humorous or demeaning. :rolleyes:

Does this sound realistic at all, from what you see closer to home?

Sign that there can really be too much of a good thing even for pearls?

PS. after posting this, need to claim sanity again! :eek: No, I do not exactly LIKE those things. Just admire the striving for inspiration. At most, it seems reasonable to assume that some new, wearable forms could come up from toning those crazy extremes down a step or a dozen... hopefully still in interesting ways. Much like their makers do for a living.

Thanks for the links. At some point last year, I thought I read big & chunky are in. Since I don't wear big & chunky, I haven't noticed whether the trend continues this year. Quite a few of them, from Val's link, are just outrageously unproportioned to the model's face & body.

The link states that pearls are in for fall, but Talbots.com has already had plenty of pearls in their spring catalog...Lots of ropes, pearl necklaces with flowers, etc.

Last edited:
The Digeridoo (? did I spell that right??) music was a little weird... From the time that Coco Chanel pioneered the faux pearl look, plastic and synthetic beads have been acceptable in fashion- couture and everyday wear- so I wouldn't think that their bronzey balls are all that new of an idea, but I do agree that it is interesting to see designers stretching their imaginations in trying to incorporate "pearls" into their designs- it can only be a good thing IMHO, no matter how odd it might look on the runway :)

Seems like everything on the runway is exaggerated--shorter, bigger, wider(!) sheerer! We, the consumer, have to figure out what we are comfortable with!
I have recently dug into the garage and found some of my faux pearl jewelry from the 70's--pretty funny! Will take a few photos at some point--might be fun to see what everyone else loved, before then got "real pearls "too!

Back