Y necklace questions

pernula

Hi,

I am thinking of making a Y-necklace from one of my exotic pearl strands (Thank you Jermey, Mia, and everyone else at PP, they are beautiful!:)). I am thinking of a 16" necklace with a 2" vertical line of pearls sort of thing. I seldom see this style of necklace, and would like to get your opinion and suggestions on this.

(1) Is this style suitable for small round multi color pearls? They are 7 to 7.5 mm or so.
(2) Is it better to have a clasp or ornament sort of thing at the Y junction, i.e., where the three strands meet? Or is there a way of making the pearls stay in Y shape just through knotting?
(3) Do you think this is a versatile style (for different neckline, face shape, etc.)?

Thank you for your help.:)

Regards,
Pernula

Hi Pernula,

Here's my opinion about your proposed necklace--

1. Perfectly suitable and beautiful for the size pearl you mention.

2. There are some attractive small medallions that could be used to join the pearls. Also I have seen a type of clasp that hooks between the knots, making the drop adjustable, and creating the ability to wear as a regular necklace when clasped in back also. I can't picture any way to knot the parts without a joining piece. Also at the end of the drop I like a slightly larger pearl or gemstone to balance the piece.

3. I think it is a flattering style and quite versatile.

Give it a try! If you don't like it, redo it! I remind myself of that when I feel unsure about what I am making. Look forward to seeing your creation!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

IMO, Y necklaces work best with smal pearls and are the most versatyle ... aside a choker. ;)

I would think that the Y lariat (below) is the most versatyle... since one can connect the end of the necklace between any two pearls - so the 'Y' can be more or less close to the neck and fit any neckline. And that can become a normal long strand too if the connector has something to attach to at the other end (instead of a larger pearl, as in the example)

KPJN036sm.jpg

I think that the small finding that allows this is a snap hinge closure purpose made for lariats. Here's one version from Stuller: LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Valeria's suggestion. Not only does it allow you to adjust the length of the drop piece, but using this connection you could also turn the necklace so the drop is in the back. This could be quite attractive if you have short hair or are wearing your hair up.

Hi Valarie, how long does the necklace need to be to make a Y lariat? It's gorgeous!

Pernula, this is exactly what I am planning to do with mine. I ordered one of PP's 14kt YG toggle clasps along with my pearls, and am planning to use the clasp in the front (at about the level of my clavicle) and suspend the drop from the loop section of the toggle.

(BTW - I have never made a necklace like this before, so if anyone has any pro/con advice or experience, it would be appreciated!)

I bought 2 strands of the rounds because I need a bit more than 16" of pearls for the length I want. I am going to make a similar necklace with the leftovers, but in silver. Since I will need to stretch out the pearls a bit, I am using hill tribe silver spacers and this connector:
https://www.rings-things.com/cgi-bin/hazel/hazel.cgi?action=detail&item=44-050-80-15

Not exactly a Y necklace, but the same idea, with a drop of pearls from the center connector loop. So I will have exotics in gold and in silver - yum!

Everyone is generating great ideas. I can't wait to see the finished necklaces! ;)

airdancer said:
Hi Valarie, how long does the necklace need to be to make a Y lariat? It's gorgeous!

Well, you need at least choker length plus the length of the drop in-front. You can find out what that means for you in inches using an old strand. I have only one such strand at the moment (beads are never immune to restringing in this house!) of about 23 inches - the loop is a bit looser then a choker and the drop falls right below the bust line. You could have it well shorter with larger beads... it is a matter of trying and seeing, I think ;)

One more thing: this needs to be a very flexible strand, and that's why many are made of smaller beads or have small beads or other connectors between the large ones, not just knots. With pearls available in every shape and size, this should be very easy. Say 2-3mm whites between the exotics you have in mind and that could be as much as ten inches more, probably. A drop could finish the strand into freakin' perfection, methinks - the silver gray Tahitians fit superbly among multicolour Freshwater - the tone is about the same, and the cool color just fits in.

Just a thought :) ...

PS. Speaking of Y necklaces - look HERE for a charmer; that's the look I went for with the 23 inch strand. It is quite loose and long.

A drop could finish the strand into freakin' perfection, methinks - the silver gray Tahitians fit superbly among multicolour Freshwater - the tone is about the same, and the cool color just fits in.

Yes...yummy...and if the last drop is a bigger sized pearl, it looks nicely 'finished'!

This could also be an affordable alternative to a full strand of big rounds. Valeria, do you have a bigger picture of the Y lariat that you could post or PM me?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions! I think I'll probably ask Pearl Paradise or another jeweler to make it for me. I still don't know how to knot.:eek:

Boo, I love your idea of gold and silver necklaces. I'm sure they will work out very well, given your history of beautiful designs and craftsmanship.:)

Cheers,
Pernula

Back