Mother-Of-Pearl Buttons in Designer Clothes

P

perlas

I've noticed some really nice MOP buttons in designer clothing. Makes me wonder from what mussels or oysters they came from. You'll never know they're MOP until you turn them around! Here are some of them....

Prada.....

Attachments

• prada.JPG
    prada.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 32
Gaultier....
(The iridescent part of the shell was at the back and they used the 'rough' part as front of the buttons.)

Attachments

• gaultier.JPG
    gaultier.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
How interesting. It's like you're a fashion detective!!! I like the rough one. ;)

and my favorite button...

fendi...
(the buttons are iridescent brown. lots of rainbow colors. i don't see this type of shell in our area and i would love to make jewelry out of this type of shell!)

Attachments

• fendi.JPG
    fendi.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 44
i just have to repeat the brown buttons. i would have made them into jewelry only if the brandname wasn't at the buttons.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• fendi2.JPG
    fendi2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 38
Sorry, I cut in before you were done, but I love the brown ones, too! Definitely the best. ;)

Have you folks read the story of Billie Button? It is a turn of the 20th century saga of Billie's life from being part of a mussel shell to the finished button. It is cute.
shim.gif

LINK ---- BETTER LINK

I ran across this article many years ago about how pearl buttons are made -- complete with pictures! I hope it downloads. Nope, it won't. I'll send it to Caitlin and see what she can do with it. It's really a neat article.

The "Pearl Professor"? Well, we all profess pearls, but is this particular professor someone we all know?

Last edited:
Those photos of the buttons are great, and I have never heard of that book before, but it is clever! However, lots of grandmothers had "button jars" where buttons were cut off the used garments headed for the "rag bag", and usually buttons were recycled on another homemade garment. I have some old abalone shell buttons also.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for me, good books are harder to find in my area than good pearls.

Caitlin, I like the box of buttons! Seems some of them are really old!

Lovely! I'd flip the buttons on post 5, the d&g striped shirt. I love that streak of blue!

Me, too! Love the buttons in your box and I love the books you come up with, too.

No wonder this site flourishes, the threads spawn more delightful threads, even if technically it's hitch-hiking. No, I mean hijacking! hijacking the threads leads to wonderful stuff, like turning a corner on a path in a Surprise Garden!

Oops, not that I think this thread is hijacked. Just musing.

Last edited:
we're still on the subject in this thread!

I do believe Jeremy first found the Billy Button brochure following up on a very early post. Test my memory. Find the thread.

I love that Perlas put those pix up! I think eBay does a lively trade in MoP buttons. They are so classic and useful. I don't think wearing them a few more generations will hurt them at all. If anyone ever bothered to change buttons anymore.....

well grandma Old will just totter away.......

Last edited:
Back