John Tu's Pearls

Hisano and I bumped into John at the HK show last month. It turned out that Hisano used to buy pearls from him years ago when she was designing on her own before coming to work at PP!

Karin asked what I purchased from John Tu at the latest Gem Faire, so here are a few photos. P1000627_exposure.jpg

P1000628.jpg

First two photos are all dyed pearls, blue and lavender plump baroques mostly with no flat sides, very inexpensive. Dark peacock bead nucleated fw, in the middle, gray Chinese Kasumi-like, interesting overtones on these and the first time I'd seen this color, treated I'm sure. Then multicolor nuggets that remind me of the popular metal colors now.

P1000629.jpg

Third photo are all natural color pearls. I continue to be fascinated by the pondslime and bronzy colors. And the big ringed freshwaters are fun and casual.

This last photo shows my strand of white south Sea, which just happened to be nearby, so they are in the center between cfwp. They are more white/silver than the creamy shades of the freshwaters. Thought some of you might be interested in the comparison.

P1000631_exposure.jpg

Thanks Pattye,,
Love the natural colors too. The comparison shot is wonderful!

Pattye love your new pearls. Great choices. Can't wait to hear what you make with them.

Thanks for the pictures over the years, they are beautiful :)

The ones with the odd color were my favorites at his booth at the Tucson Gem Show this year. Fabulous color I can't name. The pearls are a nice size too. I'll be checking out your shops!

It makes me happy to see you working with the dyed colors too. I have always liked them , esp when mixed with other beads. They are beads, but they still bring that pearly feeling to every piece!

Beautiful pearls!! The dark colours are just adorable, I am trying to find him online as we are offering jewellery classes soon where we will work mainly with pearls. Why is New Zealand just so far away from everybody??:(

Thank you so much, each and every one, for your kind comments, I'll be sure to pass them on to John Tu. John currently does the West Coast circuit of Gem Faire, traveling many months of the year, so it is impossible for him to have a website. His partner, Lily, has been creating some lovely finished jewelry, which is also offered at the Gem Faires in addition to his many strands of pearls. He is always hoping to stay current with the market. John has items like leather cord, large hole pearls, some findings, and a large selection of Golden SS and Tahitians, quality blue and white Akoya and more.

So sorry, NZP. Yes, wish you were closer! What a great idea for you to give jewelry classes!

Caitlin, I agree with you; some dyed pearls have good luster and interesting shapes so I am not willing to turn my nose up at them. But I also understand it is a personal preference.

Would it be possible to persuade him to join us for the Ruckus in 2016 please?

DK :D

I just had the pleasure of meeting John this afternoon in San Diego. Very nice man and great pearls. I will definitely visit with him again.

Hi! I'm new to P-G and really enjoyed this wonderful thread spanning several years!

Reading back through this thread it looks like he is only at the Gem Faire shows in Hillsboro? That's about a 2 hr drive for me. Is there any way to confirm his being there ahead of time?

Thanks, Cecilia

Back