John Tu's Pearls

misshapen pearls

misshapen pearls

Hallo GemGeek,
I am looking for those kind of misshapen and odd pearls. I posted the question in an other part of this forum (FWP)
Can you help me to find where I can buy those pearls?
I live in Belgium.
Thanks

John Tu?s Pearls, continued?

Here are some bead nucleated freshwater pearls?

View attachment 2281

View attachment 2282

I think these are tissue-nucleated, but you can never be 100% sure?

View attachment 2283

They look like they're melting and dripping!;)

More natural color shimmer...

View attachment 2284

And here is a close-up photo of some lovely baroques.

View attachment 2285

These are sooooo beautiful!

More...

Beautiful photographs!!

GemGeek,

Did you design that art nouveau necklace a few posts above? It is absolutely stunning!

Kay

Beautiful photographs!!

GemGeek,

Did you design that art nouveau necklace a few posts above? It is absolutely stunning!

Kay

Hi Kay. I designed the combination and made it, but the embossed pieces came that way with no help from moi. ;)

Just a note -- John said he saw that someone said something about the San Francisco show and he wanted those who were interested to know that he now only does three Gem Faires in California: San Mateo, Costa Mesa & San Diego. I think he still does Portland.

John gave me a good deal on a mass of commercial-grade circled Tahitians, so I'll be thinking about what I can do with them besides making myself an obscenely long rope. ;)

Cheers,
Blaire

You gotta do the long rope first! The you can wear them while you decide what else you could do.

I would love to see John Tu's booth. He looks like the best.......

It's fun to see the pearls go from unfinished strands...

To wearable jewelry...
View attachment 2637

GemGeek,

I *love* the way you've set the Tahitian drop circles--like flower buds. Those quaterfoil "hats" work beautifully with the colors and forms of the poils.

CarolK

Unfortunately, nothing great to report from Gem Faire--no Taiko Imports or John Tu. This is the first time he hasn't been there. Most of the other pearl dealers were from CA- lots of dyed pearls. I didn't really need anything--so went on to find my Oregon sunstone suppliers, which was a nice consolation.

Next time I will verify with John that he is going to be there!

Bummer. I'm happy that you found your sunstone supplier, though. I love sunstone! ;)After seeing all the pearls in Tucson, you can appreciate that John has a good representation at reasonable prices. Now that I think about it, John takes a vacation in January and goes to China to buy pearls. Maybe that's what he was up to?

Cheers,
Blaire

Blaire,

This is the first time I have sen this thread and I was entranced by your pictures. We seem to have similar tastes in pearls. Do you know if John Tu will be in Tucson or does he just do local shows? I have done some dealing with Majestic Pearl, DSL Pearls out of NYC and some local Hong Kong dealers in the past. Does anybody have any experience with any of them? Anxious to see what new will be happening in Tucson.

Hi Judi and Blaire,

Blaire you are no doubt correct that John is on another buying trip. Judi, John does not go to Tucson, just some of the west coast "Gem Faire" circuit. He doesn't have a website either. He is only accessible in person, sorry so many miss out. I did buy from Majestic Pearl last year in Tucson. So sad to be unable to attend this year, but I will certainly look forward to all your reports!

I feel lucky to have John come nearby on a regular basis. He keeps talking about retiring -- not if I have my way!!! ;)

I like Majestic, but their good stuff oddly seems to be at one location or the other, so be sure to go to both - Holidome & Gem Mall, I think.

Have fun! ;)

Good Morning!

John Tu was at Gem Faire yesterday----so here are some not so fab photos of the latest loot! May have to go back tomorrow and concentrate on pinks---I get all excited about the purples and "spices," the little dark pearls------enjoy!

These first ones are obviously dyed--but great colors!
IMGP1119_resize.jpg

Really pretty rich ivory color pearls----------

IMGP1120_resize.jpg

I think these are all natural colors, 3 views of the same group.

IMGP1123_resize.jpg

IMGP1122_resize.jpg

IMGP1121_resize.jpg

Blaire, tell John he CAN retire. He can sit at home and still have his business with us PGers online. We don't need fancy. Since you began talking about him, I wished he came to my area.

Ooooh! Love the metallic colors! I hope you left some for me (sound familiar?!) Congratulations on the beautiful haul. ;)

Back