Anne Boleyn/Ugly Betty necklace

aerinha

ABC's "Ugly" Betty Suarez wears a B necklace strung on a faux pearl strand with faux pearls hanging off the B that is a copy of a necklace the ill-fated Anne Boleyn wore. I found the site that sold the necklace to the show (which is how I know they are faux pearls and the offer all initials since there isn't a B in any of my names), but if I'm going to copy a Queen, I wondered if anyone made it in real pearls? I'd be looking for an M.

Last edited:
That would not be too difficult to make, but it would be a bother trying to keep stock of all 26 settings in both white and yellow! I can see it with 2 fancy-color matched freshwater drops on the side, and a nice, slightly longer white drop in the middle.

Hmmm, I love all the fascinating ideas that pop up on this forum. I imagne stocking all those initals would be difficult. Could it an item that would need a turn around for casting? Although, in the wider sense of the audience beyond PG, I am not so sure how popular this would be. I watched an old movie about Ann Boleyn recently and was struck by the beauty of the necklace, and the pride she had in her name.

I think most people would recognize it as Betty's necklace since the show is a hit. I just knew it was Anne's first because I saw a couple portraits of her wearing it.

I like Jeremy's idea of the colored drops, though all those letters would be hard to keep in stock, didn't really think about that.

salem said:
Although, in the wider sense of the audience beyond PG, I am not so sure how popular this would be.

It isn't unusual to see lettered jewelry pop up under signature - just none so far with pearls hanging from them :cool:

Wonder how would one decide how to spread the stock! Maybe an initial count through the phone book ? :p LOL! [statistics awakening :eek: ]

Seriously, there are dozens and dozens of diamond-y letters out there in the aftermath of the craze two years ago. Not sure what could one do with the idea to keep the buzz going other than ... turning up some version with pearls. And then, there are THESE, of course :rolleyes:

Maybe...

Now those lockets would work. They look classy. The names and initials in gold sometimes go the other way, in my opinion.

I actually prefer to stay away from pieces that are heavy into the gold and light on pearl. I just like pearls so much more than gold:D

jshepherd said:
I actually prefer to stay away from pieces that are heavy into the gold and light on pearl. I just like pearls so much more than gold...

IKEA :cool:

.... second thought: Yvel :rolleyes:

... third: MORSE.... & Mademoiselle...

[Oups, late at night, third coffee round speaking]

Valeria101 said:
It isn't unusual to see lettered jewelry pop up under signature - just none so far with pearls hanging from them :cool:

Well, yes, I am aware of people using initials in jewlry. :D I was speaking to this specific piece. I do not think most women who buy pearls want a historic repordcution wth their initial attached. While I love the necklace, I just can't see becoming popular. I think most women, when they buy pearls tend to go the very classic, round, white route. I think this necklace would fit into the realm of the freshwater baroques. I think a small minority would love them, some more would be curious, but that is it. And for all the work of getting all the letters, it just seems a rather limited. Of course, it the inital was made into an enhancer, leaving the necklace as a stand alone when wanted, I think that would create more appeal.

About the wide appeal potential of specific piece ... agreed... sure. The Ann Boleyn fan club may have a sweet day, but...

It didn't occur to me that the design would be reproduced. Just thought of the scarcity of inspired monogram & pearl pieces in general :eek: Can't say I've seen much to choose from at all. Odd?

I would really like to make this myself. Does anyone know where to buy just the "charm" section? I can handle making a necklace and hanging some pearls myself. Anyone out there know?

Hi Mitsucats,

I haven't seen the charm section for sale, but awhile back "purlgurl" aka Carolyn was working on a custom pendant, so I thought I would put the link to that thread here--
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/freshwater-pearls/3756-hunting-long-fw-drops.html

If you know anyone who is working in PMC the bronz clay, they might be able to copy that piece. I have only had one class, but don't feel capable of tackling something that complicated, although I could do a very rustic look! ;) It is very cool with the pearls dangling off the bottom.

Last edited:
I got as far as quoting for my customer, and she got scared of the price of gold.
I looked at a number of different ways of making the letter 'B', including hand piercing out of a sheet of gold (which meant a lot of expensive waste), cutting the letter from a sheet of wax, and casting it, which was going to cost $75 just to cut the wax(!) Fine if I wanted to produce thousands of them, but silly for only one.

If I quoted now, only a few months down the track, gold has gone up about $100US/oz, so she would be even more terrified. They just dont believe us, when we tell them it will only go up, they think we are trying to push the sale...
Which is why Jeremy is so clever to be buying up pearl stocks now.

My customer wanted a more 3D version of her 'B', but if you want a flat one, I'm sure every charm supplier has many different fonts to choose from.
Good luck, & please show us the pics when you get it done!

Gosh, that is disappointing all 'round. When I get back to the PMC clay after Christmas, I might give it a try. The bronze looks like a rich antique gold after firing in a kiln. Basically one sculpts it out of special clay, made of powdered bronze (reclaimed) with a binder, let's it dry thoroughly, and fires it. It can have a nice dimension. I'd have to make a different letter than a "P"--no room for more than one pearl! Boo Hoo.

Back