Decision time-- an ombre or a South Sea strand?

Mayacamas

Dear Pearl-Guide family,

It's finally decision time. I have attached two photos that are similar to the the strands I am considering. One is a South Sea strand-- with about 30% less bling than this strand and in the 11-13mm range. The other strand is an ombre strand that will be blinged with both roundels and rounds, and its 8mm -13m mm range. Both sets are equivalent in beauty and quality of pearls. Both are very expensive and I am looking for the most timeless strand. I am concerned the ombre is drop dead gorgeous, but may not last the test of time.

May I have your opinion please:
1. What is more appealing a more graduated strand, or a strand similar size pearls?
2. Is there too much bling for the daytime daily wear?
3. Which strand is more timeless?

Thank you in advance,
Maya

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 46
  • SNM00031.jpg
    SNM00031.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 45
I understand it is a difficult decision but, really, only you know the answer to these questions :)

I understand it is a difficult decision but, really, only you know the answer to these questions :)

Yes it is KarinK!

Since the stands are so pricey, I'm seeking advice from people those people who have been in "the pearl world" for awhile based on their experience over time.

I am leaning towards the ombre strand, but for those who have ombre stands, do they stand the test of time?

My surface assumptions are ombre is more of a fashion trend while large white pearls as timeless.

Some of the super users on this site have so many strands and experiences I thought their insights through collecting and owning many variations of strands and colors may be helpful.

Thank you all so much,
Maya

Think of your activities and wardrobe, not only as they are now, but as you expect them to change over the course of your life.

Which strand will suit that anticipated wardrobe and lifestyle better? That is the kind of timelessness you should be seeking-- not what is timeless for other people but what will not become obsolete in your own anticipated future.

Beyond that...none of us knows what fashion trends will be in the future. So just make it timeless for you.

Some of the super users on this site have so many strands and experiences I thought their insights through collecting and owning many variations of strands and colors may be helpful.

I never expected to buy so many strands when I first started buying pearls. Are you so sure you won't want to buy more strands later?
Maybe this strand doesn't have to be the One and Only.

I never expected to buy so many strands when I first started buying pearls. Are you so sure you won't want to buy more strands later?
Maybe this strand doesn't have to be the One and Only.

Such a good point, Pearl Dreams! Just ONE strand is what I am telling my DH... .......at least for right now.:cool:

Think about your lifestyle & the occasions you would wear them. The SS necklace is beautiful but I would not wear them often due to how casual my lifestyle is now. I have 2 strands....26" & 36" of Tahitian & WSS ombré that I wear a lot & get compliments on them all the time. I don't know if they're "trendy" but I will continue to wear them for my lifetime. I have tons of pearls since it's my birthstone & I've collected for years. I do have some strands that are favorites & I tend to layer strands & use pendant enhancers. Only you can decide which strand will suit you & your lifestyle. Please post mod pics when you decide.

I really like the ombre strand best, but I always dress casual. I have both an ombre strand and a white south sea strand of really good quality and even though I wouldn't want to be without either of them in my heart the ombre strand is my dreamstrand. So many colors and I can twist it around and change the look of it. I never care about trends but I think both strandstyles will be around for a long time.

Some thoughts :)

Would _you_ feel too dressy wearing a lot of bling? Do you wear t-shirts and jeans mostly and drop by the grocery store and would that be fine? I would probably feel less overdressed with bling against a plain black t-shirt than a dress.

Which one of these strands will you think about in the future and wish you had chosen?

Try to flip a coin. The moment it lands, before you see it, we usually know what we hope it will show :)

Keep in mind that many of us take pearl strands apart constantly. You can always rearrange, move around, supplement, change. You are not as stuck for the future with the way a strand looks as you might think.

- Karin

Last edited:
I live a very casual lifestyle and never wear my good white pearls. Tahitians, on the other hand, feel right for all occasions.

I don't think of Ombre as 'right now' to me they are quite a classic look. They have been around for years now. So not a 'flash in the pan' style.

If that is the Ombre strand you are considering...I'd ask for close ups as in your photo the lustre looks a bit flat. Could easily be the photo but that's why you need to get close ups when you buy pearls. And confirm the type of all pearls used - I'm only suggesting this last bit as we don't know who the seller is... Some people use Akoya and Tahitians and some SS and Tahitians or All Tahitians. I'm assuming they are all Tahitians as there isn't a strong colour change as one gets when White pearls are used. The Ombre is very subtle in that photo.

Dear Katbran,

Great advice. I have seen the ombre strand -- its from Assael-- and its stunning in person. Its SS and Tahitians, and close up the way the ombre is done is outstanding-- the colors are woven together in a masterful way. I have to admit its a remarkable piece-- and the $$ reflects it, too!

The SS strand is from the Mikimoto website and I am working with Jeremy to discuss reproducing it with about 50% less diamond/bling and slightly smaller pearls (the picture is of a 13-14mm strand, and its heavy, I like 10-12mm). I have seen the SS in person and tried it on at the Mikimoto boutique in NYC and it is also much more impressive in person--as a holistic STATEMENT piece of jewelry. It pretty much glowed- and since I am pale skin/red hair, it looked good on my "type." Its also above $150K US, so...that's not gonna happen!!!

Good choices to have, and hopefully Jeremy/Hisano can help me sort our the best choice.

Have an amazing day,
Maya

I personally prefer my ombre because it goes with so very many things, but it's really 100% up to you!

Well absolutely no worries then if it's from Assael ! They have beautiful pearls ! Distance photos can be difficult to judge. I love the Ombre and think you would probably get more use out of it . Unless you do lots of Black Tie events and Charity things ... the big white ones might just sit in the safe... beautiful as they may be. And I like graduation in long pieces, I don't like the look of large pearls across the back of the neck and shoulders plus it keeps the overall weight down.
Dear Katbran,

Great advice. I have seen the ombre strand -- its from Assael-- and its stunning in person. Its SS and Tahitians, and close up the way the ombre is done is outstanding-- the colors are woven together in a masterful way. I have to admit its a remarkable piece-- and the $$ reflects it, too!

The SS strand is from the Mikimoto website and I am working with Jeremy to discuss reproducing it with about 50% less diamond/bling and slightly smaller pearls (the picture is of a 13-14mm strand, and its heavy, I like 10-12mm). I have seen the SS in person and tried it on at the Mikimoto boutique in NYC and it is also much more impressive in person--as a holistic STATEMENT piece of jewelry. It pretty much glowed- and since I am pale skin/red hair, it looked good on my "type." Its also above $150K US, so...that's not gonna happen!!!

Good choices to have, and hopefully Jeremy/Hisano can help me sort our the best choice.

Have an amazing day,
Maya

Well absolutely no worries then if it's from Assael ! They have beautiful pearls ! Distance photos can be difficult to judge. I love the Ombre and think you would probably get more use out of it . Unless you do lots of Black Tie events and Charity things ... the big white ones might just sit in the safe... beautiful as they may be. And I like graduation in long pieces, I don't like the look of large pearls across the back of the neck and shoulders plus it keeps the overall weight down.

HI! I below are photos of the actual ombre strand for your viewing pleasure....
Let me know what you think!

Greetings from Colorado and sweet dreams.
Maya

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 51
Also, I forgot to mention....
I have a princess length strand of Tiffany's South Seas white pearls that are 11.5-12.5mm....
They are beautiful but I don't think I need a second SSP strand...even though they would be different lengths and the longer with bling....

So it looks like I am leaning towards the Ombre...

Back