NYT on Males with Pearls

V

Valeria101

These guys make those pearls-on-rope sound good enough to eat, let alone wear! Not much in the way of relevant pictures, but the mention of 'a new collection of giant baroque pearls the color of an oil slick, strung on silk samurai cords' hits home if anything does. Even if girls are not supposed to want them ;)

Here goes: LINK

Very Interesting that so many are now coming out with the men's collection of pearls!! ;)

I think it is overdue that men start thinking of Tahitian pearls as an option over diamonds! It's a great transition.

I just received a call today from the assistant to Sean Combs. She wanted to know if/when he could come in. We cannot, of course, accommodate before Christmas, but I offered her anytime in January. I would LOVE the chance to make black pearls the new 'hip hop' thing!

Last edited:
I gotta say, I really don't like the silk cord look at all - just too bulk and it looks like someone ripped the trim off a throw pillow and put a pearl on it.

I'd love to see Diddy swap out his trade mark diamond cufflinks for a pair of large Tahitian links though, leather or rope I couldn't see on him.

Feel free to mention my baroque bracelet though Jeremy, I don't mind if he wants to take fashion queues from me ;)

jshepherd said:
I just received a call today from the assistant to Sean Combs. She wanted to know if/when he could come in. We cannot, of course, accommodate before Christmas, but I offered her anytime in January. I would LOVE the chance to make black pearls the new 'hip hop' thing!
Sorry to say it, but I disagree. Hip hop "artists" tend to be paragons of "more money than taste." Combs may possess a bit more refinement than some in his field, but I have a hard time envisioning the adoption of pearls as a status symbol by the hip hop community as a good thing. Of course, that's just my personal taste.

It would be great for business, though. Combs and his ilk certainly have a great deal of disposable income. Gives you a good excuse to boost your margin just a little.

mikehrz said:
Sorry to say it, but I disagree. Hip hop "artists" tend to be paragons of "more money than taste." Combs may possess a bit more refinement than some in his field, but I have a hard time envisioning the adoption of pearls as a status symbol by the hip hop community as a good thing. Of course, that's just my personal taste.

It would be great for business, though. Combs and his ilk certainly have a great deal of disposable income. Gives you a good excuse to boost your margin just a little.

I guess Mr Combs is quite teh business mogul himself. If he is looking into your product you have to be really really Did I mention Really good at what you do for him to search you out! Good Luck Jeremy! let s kow how it goes!

Wouldn't know to make any wise remark about hip-hop, but would be surprised if pearls would not cross over into the 'Bling' category -whatever that is. Whatever jewelry is appreciated with the times, pearls should be there...The in-your-eye Deco re-enactment in top HH videos and what not make the perfect background. How far is that from actual practice, is another Q.

There's little subtlety about a huge dark drop pearl (earring) :cool:

Weren't 'pearls on rope' supposed to be sportswear?

Last edited by a moderator:
The use of Japanese braiding mentioned in the NYT article must have dealt with just that problem... ;)
Those have a a more respectable image than the upholstery connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think pearls for men are cutting-edge and sharp so I certainly am not surprised!

Combs wears a lot of sharp, sharp stuff, all custom made by the best with the best materials. That's unusual, it is amazing how many wealthy celebrities wear clothes that either don't fit properly or are second rate - expensive, but second rate.

If you are thinking of showing him cufflinks, make sure they are double sided. There is no point having a beautiful pearl on one side of your cuff, and a metal bar on the other. Double sided cufflinks are somewhat rare now, but people who wear French cuffs a lot seek them out. A largish black pearl on one side, and a smaller one on the other, would be my pick (in fact I would buy that myself if I could find one). The smaller pearl has to be able to pass through the cuff hole, which on a custom shirt won't be big.

Back