Strands with Adjustable Lengths?

CrazyMissy

Just noticed at the recent Singapore jewelry fair that the adjustable opera/rope strands are all over the place. Basket clasps or in-between pearl clasps seem to be a popular option. Any reason why they became mainstream? (e.g. some celebrity wore it? trickled down from high end shops like Mikimoto?) Do you have one of these? Yay or nay for everyday wear? Ideal pearl size? Pros and cons?

Here's an example, a fun silver-gray 40" akoya necklace with 2 pearl sizes, a basket clasp and an 18k tassel at the end.

Adjust.jpg

I didn't buy it as it was over my budget, but it was fun to wear short as well!

Adjust - worn short.jpg

Edit: Just saw my double chin on the photo, sorry about that! I take crappy selfies!

I've seen basket clasps in Renee Newman's books, but I've never seen one in person. I think they're rather cool.

I like them for ropes but haven’t seen many clasps that I like. There have always been some at every fair I think.

I quite like the playfulness of that necklace, but I'm not so sure about those tassels.. they are of a very interesting design - do you remember what were they made of? gold beads or thread?..

And I agree with pattye - I think the pearls are becoming more and more of a truly modern accessory, with even greater variety of styles and designs suitable for different occasions. And the layering trend is really on)) so the more diversity we have - the better (of course! :D)

The vendor said that the beads in between the pearls are 18k rose gold, while the tassel is a customized chain, also using 18k rose gold which they meshed to form the design. I hope I made sense, hahaha!

I've loved the idea of basket clasps since the first time I saw them, but I've hesitated to use them because I worry about scratching the pearls. Does anyone know if they can damage the pearls they're clipped on to?

Missy that necklace is gorgeous!

I've loved the idea of basket clasps since the first time I saw them, but I've hesitated to use them because I worry about scratching the pearls. Does anyone know if they can damage the pearls they're clipped on to?

Missy that necklace is gorgeous!
Battah, I think there is always a possibility that a pearl might scratch, however, there's a lot to be said about enjoying something fully in the here and now. Nothing in this world lasts forever. You could also design around the pearl by using another gemstone bead or two in the design...that way you could connect the basket to the bead instead of the pearl.

Does anyone know if they can damage the pearls they're clipped on to?
I would say it's rather unlikely - because the clasp edges would be (or at least they should be :) ) very very smooth and rounded. Getting the cage in the right size for the particular strand would also help to minimise the risks. And finally, you could choose higher carat gold to ensure even more security for your pearl :) so I would say - go for it girl! :cool:

Back