Keisha - Drop or Stud Style Earrings?

J

jewel457

Hello All - Question for Pearl Earrings "Fashionados"

Relating to a pair of keishi pearls (12.5mm)! Would you prefer to wear them set as Studs?

or Drops?

I cannot decide... what do you think! Thanks.

Hi Jeremy,

You wouldn't have to wear a pair, make it a single dangle and wear a black velvet beret with a small brocade border with it. Skip the lace collar.

Zeide

My rule: 'if not round - then drop' ;) Easy enough. Over time, I have found only a couple of cute stud earrings with non-round pearls, and it definitely is a mater of shape - besides, those were more intricate than simple studs anyway and with the pearls that large themselves, it would take raggedy tough ears for that...

Assuming those are meant for a lady, the season's long line earrings would fit large Keshi to a tee, IMO.

Zeide, that one sounds great :cool: Got to get a couple of guys into pearls to see that happen!

Can we see the respective keshi ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Valeria101 said:
My rule: 'if not round - then drop' ;)

Jeremi, can we see the goods ? :)

That is not always the case. Check out the pic below. I would set buttons the same way as well. I have also turned freeform baroque whites (South Sea) into incredible studs. One great thing to do is set diamond chips in grooves...

What goods are you referring to? The eBay strands? Do not have them yet, and I am headed back to Asia next week:(

Attachments

• Acorn-shape.JPG
    Acorn-shape.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 45
jshepherd said:
That is not always the case. Check out the pic below.

Well, those are round... At least they look like that on the ear, and that is what I was referring to in the previous post. I have not realized that with pearls there is some confusion between 2D and 3D 'roundness' (since no one calls pearls 'spherical').

I am hearing you about the keshi studs with settings worked out around the pearls' shape. Sure they work great! Crooked pearls with a peg behind and no help whatsoever from the design sound less appealing... although, with so many different shapes and color, sure one day I'll find the prove of the contrary to even that ;)

jshepherd said:
What goods are you referring to?

The 12mm keshi that started the thread. Sorry for addressing the question wrongly. It just got edited.

Keisha - Drop or Stud Style Earrings

Hi Valeria,

Actually, I am waiting to see them also. Recently received some 6-12 loosies. I then requested matched pairs and received a part suggestion, part question email as to whether I wanted the size in question for Studs or leave undrill and let the customer decide!

Problem... I don't have a drill so I decided to pose the question.

FYI: No PPB... they are pretty light depending on thickness. Scale is set at Gram right now and comparison of 2 - 12mm got .99 and 1.20.

Hi Jeremy,

They should arrive around the middle of next week. I will post a photo then. Thx!

Until then.

Tag to some loosies (pic taken with a little window light). I can never figure out which link to use from hosting.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1398/5700721/12986709/202473172.jpg

202473172.jpg

These look pretty cool! The larger light gray ones in the bottom-right of the picture beg to be saved from the crowd :) With a pair of small, color-coordinated button pearls to hand from, they'd make the perfect drop earrings, IMO...

Hi Ana,

I'd love to have a whole NBE set of these because they match some natural p.m. rings I have.

Zeide

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Ana,

I'd love to have a whole NBE set of these because they match some natural p.m. rings I have.

Zeide

'NBE' ? 'P.M.'? I'm lost with these... :eek:

Hi Ana,

NBE = Necklace, bracelet, earrings and p.m. = pinctada margaritifera.

Zeide

"Necklace, bracelet, earrings and p.m. = pinctada margaritifera."

Talk about necklace... I was thinking of going with lariat style necklaces with them all, combining larger blk large P.M.s, the smaller p.m. Ks and a very light precious gem in-between.

Now that Zeide has spoken up, perhaps, I should use the larger ones to make bracelets.

On that matched pair of 12.5mm, I know they were mailed only not here yet. (The cheapie in me always ask for regular mail to cut down on mailing cost... end result <snail mail>)

Hi Jewel457,

I think they lend themselves well to the tin-cup style although my baroque ring setting would require them to be spaced with viney, leafy long beads in either white gold or yellow gold, or better one set each since I have two rings of this design one in white gold and one in yellow gold. That would make such a fabulous mother and daughter set. The left ring is the one that could use the NBE.

Zeide

Attachments

• NaturalPearlRings.jpg
    NaturalPearlRings.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 44
'Leafy beads' sounds great, lucky goldsmith that would get a field day with the design if and when you might pursue this, Zeide! Besides, what a nice lesson in all things pearls they might get on the side ;)

Valeria101 said:
'Leafy beads' sounds great, lucky goldsmith that would get a field day with the design if and when you might pursue this, Zeide! Besides, what a nice lesson in all things pearls they might get on the side ;)

Zeide,

I am awed over the ring on the left. "Leafy beads." Fantastic if leafy beads came preset... ha ha on me as I am a "lowly beader" using high-qual materials.

I am going with 14k yellow gold eye pins to make the connections (so I will end up with a chain linked style the closet I can come to tin cup as I am too chicken to take on the task of working with longer wire), lightest blue topaz I could find (because a beader almost always come up with some kookie idea). To top my kookie idea off - I will add some over 10mm white SS or Black P.M.s (haven't decided on which one of those I will use yet).

Now if I can only get myself going to take on the task.

Should you ladies continue to throw out ideas, I should say I will have the lot used up in fantastic "one-of-a-kinds." :D

Drop, it is!

Drop, it is!

Hello All,

Snail mail arrived! Here are the 12.5s I mentioned (closest match I suppose one could find with Keshi). Right now, they are half drilled so it will be Drop.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1398/5700721/13928531/208057327.jpg (Top section)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1398/5700721/13928531/208057324.jpg (Bottom)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1398/5700721/13928531/208057318.jpg (Aerial)

Other than "drop," I don't have a bright idea to make them "fab" drops.

Back