custom pearl ring encased in metal?

readicculus

is this possible? Im looking to get a ring made, hopefully, in which silver or gold wire can hold the whole pearl in place, and not be drilled.
I did some broad google searches and came up with nothing. I figured this is the best place to ask.

Also if anyone knows a reputable and honestly priced jeweler in the nyc area who could accomplish this, please let me know.

huh, what about something like what Sarah @ Kojima Company does?

kojima pink ring.jpg
kojima flameball rings.jpgkojima earrings.jpgInsectPendantBrooch 04

that last one i adore! ok well all of them. but are you looking for something like that setting, or even like those earring settings?

(sarah, i really hope i didn't offend by posting your pics - please let me know and i'll remove them immediately)

I highly recommend Sarah's pearl jewelry - colorful, yet timeless. :)

exactly! actually, upon reflection, that photo of three rings - those must be half-drilled. but the others appear prong-ish set to me. man, i adore that last one. ok and the pink one. oh who am i kidding? all of them!

Yes! Prong-ish. that is very similar to what I'm looking to get made. I will contact her.

Thank you!!

Please post Sarah's pix all the time! We are helping promote the beauty and excellence of her work! Be sure to link to the right pages, so someone can go and buy it!

All those will have a post, I would think. The cups and claws on those are to stop the pearl shearing off its post, not to hold it in place
The problem with an undrilled pearl is security for the pearl since in some way you are going to have to bend the metal over the pearl to hold it and the metal can of course then unbend and the pearl fall out.
So you have to have claws which reach more than half the circumference at least, and they have to be sturdy enough not to bend easily once the pearl is set.
And no soldering, of course.
It would be easier with a button pearl since that is not so deep. With some buttons you could even set cabochon style.

Back