Protecting a pearl engagement ring...

elgill

Hi - my boyfriend and I recently bought a natural pearl and diamond engagement ring. It came from a reputable antique jewellry shop in London who said the ring dates probably from around 1890 when it was quite common for engagement rings to have pearls in them. It is very beautiful and I love it!

Now - I happened to be getting another pearl ring I was recently given cleaned in my local jewellers and showed this jeweller the engagement ring. She said I was "taking a big risk" by having a pearl engagement ring and that pearls "do not like winter" and so on, also to be careful of it in water.

I'm in a bit of a panic as want to wear it more or less full time but was wondering if there is anything I can do to protect the ring. The original jeweller said only to be aware of handling anything with food colouring in (like when baking etc) and that the pearl won't come out as is drilled in from the bottom, but should I take it off when washing up/ in the bath or shower/ or during the night? How hardy are they? I'm kind of hoping that if it has survived all this time it should last another few decades!

Any advice much appreciated :) Thanks.

Lucky you! Pearls like water. They don't mind soap, which is alkaline as they are. They don't like vinegar.

Wear your pearl!

It was meant to be worn and will last a long time even if you wear it 24/7. Don't worry. Those are caveats meant for a cultured pearl, which has a thin skin. I would think it would be far less senstive to cold than a violin. Don't worry. Wear it. It something should happen to it- highly unlikely, but possible, then replace the pearl. But it won't happen!

Pearls don't mind water - obviously since they were formed in a watery environment. Pearl necklaces don't like water because the silk inside the pearl stays damp and then rots, as any natural fibre would. Water might affect the glue holding the pearl in place though.
Pearls don't mind the occassional thump from a blunt instrument but they will be scratched by sharp objects.
Yes it could well pick up dyes or smells too.
You could do worse than treat it as you would treat your skin ie gloves or remove when you would wear to protect your skin

Thanks for both your comments, very reassuring and kind of you to reply!

Back