Natural Pearl Engagement Ring

S

ssorense

I've been doing some research about engagement rings, and discovered all the controversy surrounding diamonds, including the De Beers Cartel, conflict diamonds, blood diamonds, ect.. So I want to get a natural pearl ring as an engagment ring. Then I discovered how hard it is to buy natural pearls. I figured this was the best place to ask how to go about buying a natural pearl.

What type of natural pearl are you thinking of setting into a ring? There are a couple of natural pearl dealers that are members of the forum. One of them, Mr. Jeremy Norris, is going to be in the L.A. area later this month. He has a substantial collection.

Not sure

Not sure

I'm really not sure what my options are. One from the caribbean would be cool. I actually am living in westwood (right by UCLA) right now, but I'm leaving to drive across the country at the end of the week to take a new job. A bummer I'm just going to miss the collection.

That is unfortunate. I saw your IP address so I knew you were local. If you send me a link with your email address I will forward it on to Mr. Norris. I am sure he would be happy to help you out. It would certainly be a unique engagement ring.

I'm also looking for a natural pearl for an engagement ring (which led me to this site).

I'd like something naturally black. Perhaps a black tahitian or, dare I say, black cortez (do they even exist?)?

I'd like to set it in a ring kinda like one of these:
Legend Blue - A
American Pearl
Legend Blue - B

However, I'm not really happy with what I've found for a number of reasons:
1. I'd like something more durable than typical cultured pearls.
2. I'd prefer a smaller pearl than the typical tahitians. Perhaps 6-8mm, since the lady's finger is probably about 10mm.
3. A single cultured pearl is not rare enough to symbolize my commitment.

Unless I'm mistaken, natural or tissue seeded pearls should take care of these gripes, no?

If one of you pearl experts could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. My normal haunt is between NYC and DC, but I was thinking about visiting some friends and family in Texas and/or California sometime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Preswine,

Forum member Douglas from Cortez Pearls just recently found 2 accidentals that should fit your parameters closely. I also want to commend you on your excellent taste. The pearl was the original engagement ring and, as far as I am concerned, nothing else will ever come close to the romance of a fancy-color natural pearl.

Zeide

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Preswine,

Forum member Douglas from Cortez Pearls just recently found 2 accidentals that should fit your parameters closely. I also want to commend you on your excellent taste. The pearl was the original engagement ring and, as far as I am concerned, nothing else will ever come close to the romance of a fancy-color natural pearl.

Zeide

Thank you for your help and your compliment.

We have a few non-nacreous Penn pearls, but they are more of a black brown. If you are interested in conch let me know. I have a few that are in the 3-5 ct range. The conch are pink, however.

jshepherd said:
We have a few non-nacreous Penn pearls, but they are more of a black brown. If you are interested in conch let me know. I have a few that are in the 3-5 ct range. The conch are pink, however.

No thanks. I'm not interested in conch. It appears they don't last well in sunlight.

I'm really looking for a black pearl of solid nacre that is as round as possible.

Can anyone recommend any other sources? Perhaps tissue cultured? I have high hopes for Doug's cortez accidentals, but I fear that if he only has 2 the chances of them being very round is small. I imagine that tissue cultured pearls would be rounder than true naturals.

Any experts care to comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you contacted Doug? I would recommend sending him a PM. He may have something that you are interested in besides just those two pearls. On another note, if you want a pearl that has more of a vibrant and lively color versus black for a wedding, have you seen the abalone pearl. Here is a link to get information on them: http://www.bluepearls.com/ They are currently being cultured but there are people here on this guide that own natural versions. The only problem with these pearls is that they are not round. They remind me of opals. They are just gorgeous!

Also, you may want to have her finger sized if you haven't already. If she wears rings and you don't want to ruin the surprise, take one of her rings that she wears and a jeweler can give you the size based on that ring, even if it's a ring that she wears on another finger like the middle finger.

Those "blues" are mabe. The naturals are more of a "horn" shape typically. I have about a half dozen of these and will post pictures in a separate thread when they are shot. They definitely would not work well in a ring, though.

Yeah, I'm definitely not interested in such vibrant colors.

An engagement ring will, presumably, always be worn. Black will match whatever else you're wearing, but a vibrant blue will not.

Anyway, I contacted Doug both via email and via PM. The email bounced back. Hopefully he got the PM (although I haven't heard from him yet).

I've seen the "blues" set in a ring and yes, it was a mabe. It was a designer ring and was absolutely gorgeous! I agree that the black is going to be more timeless and versatile.

Back