Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthstone Necklace - Possible Bridal Necklace Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knotty panda View Post
    Caitlin's right, Ashley. I can see that birthstone design shooting off in to lots of different directions. I don't recall seeing that shamrock design gem setting used as a station anywhere. Nice work! Help me out on the blue topaz. Top drilled? Or set? Wire wrapped or knotted on silk? Curious panda always has to have all the particulars.
    Hi Knotty- I had the Blue Topaz bezel set too.

Comment

I can't see the bezel at all. Very pretty.
      Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Ashley, that is really lovely. I love the bezel trios. A very elegant way to do birthstones!

Comment

Originally posted by knotty panda View Post
          I can't see the bezel at all. Very pretty.
          LOL!! You crack me up, Knotty

Okay guys, I got the earrings back on Monday; I had them prong-set because the stones were 2.0mm each, and I felt that a bezel might take up too much space for what are essentially, fairly small earrings... I used 1pc White Sapphire, 1 Emerald, 1 Alexandrite, 1 Peridot, 1 Citrine and 1 Amythest. They remind me of little Mardi Gras party hats

I love how the Alexandrite (upper stone on the right hand earring) turns that slate-blue color for the photos, raspberry red in candlelight, and tourmaline green in daylight. Such an interesting stone!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ashley; 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: Mistook Sapphire for Topaz- used topaz in the bracelet which I'll post in a bit! OOOPS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaywal View Post
            Ashley, that is really lovely. I love the bezel trios. A very elegant way to do birthstones!
            Thank you Kaywal! That was exactly what I was shooting for- it seems that so often, birthstone jewelry is all over the place color-wise. I felt that this "cluster" design really helped me control the placement and tone of the necklace.

Comment

Ashley,

The earrings are just gorgeous! That is a great stone--the alexandrite--not all have such distinct color change! Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks- this project has been a lot of fun for me, too! The trick with the Alexandrite is to try to only purchase the Brazilian variety (unless you can get your hands on some Russian goods at an Estate jewelers- talk about dramatic color change properties! wowza!!). My former employers at ABC Gems are to thank for this- they are actually the largest distributors of Brazilian Alexandrite in the country in addition to mining Emeralds and a few other stones.

There is an abundance of Indian Alexandrite with a gorgeous, saturated Tourmaline Green color, and nearly all of it is eye-clean, but the Indian varieties don't have a prominent color-shift.

Comment

Okay-

Sorry it's taken me so long to get the photos for the final piece in the set, but here is the bracelet; my original client's sister ordered it at the last minute, and wanted to keep it simple.

We just used two 6.0mm round gemstones- white topaz (the white sapphire in carat size starts to get a tad spendy) and peridot, bezel set and hand-strung into the Elite FWs. This is how the Blue Topaz necklace looked essentially...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I hope that becomes a good seller. It is such a delicious design. This series is special. I can see it going on and on.
                    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Working...
                    X