X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning and stringing

cleaning and stringing

Our firm has strung pearls for 4 decades during my tenure and an additional 3 decades before I was old enough to know a pearl from a rock.
    If your pearls are not clean. Restring them. Temporarily string on cotton and wash under running water with one end hooked over the tap. Rinse and use a cotton towel to dry. Stringing on cotton will clean the holes. Washing on the cord while still wearing just moves the grime to the silk. Not a worthy practise.
    Originally posted by moishai View Post
    Dear all

I have a question for Zeide:

I have read on various websites that when caring for and cleaning pearls, one should use a damp soft cloth (dampened with diluted soap solution) and then "rinsed" with another damp soft cloth (dampened with clean chlorine free water only) and then dried with another soft cloth.

However, I have also seen on some websites advising that if the pearls are really dirty, they should be rinsed under running water. My query is two fold: (a) what is the proper way to clean pearls and (b) can pearls be placed under a tap of running water (since I thought if water were to get into the drill holes then it will ruin the pearls)?

I would be grateful if you could please let me know.

Many thanks.

Moishai.
    pearlman@mlange.org

Comment

• Hi
      There are a couple look alike synthetics that may give you more wear but. also accumulate more grit to eventually misshapen
      the hole or other damage . look at it as though you were changing the oil as you do in your car. Necessary inconvenience.
      We can offer todo them. but I refrain from advertising on this forum. Little bit heavier silk mite help.
      Norm. aka. peal-mn
      pearlman@mlange.org

Comment

• Has anyone heard of "moisturizing" the pearls with natural oils? A friend of mine soaked her pearls in pure olive oil (or something like that, I don't remembered) and said it'll help maintain the pearls' luster and nacre so it won't chip or peel... Is this true? I know that pearls need to "breathe", so they can't be placed in air-tight containers or in the safe for too long. If this is the case, won't the oils stop pearls from breathing like clogging our pores? LOL

Comment

• And how does you friend like the new colour of the once-white silk thread

The topic has been up before but so has many topics during PG's lifespan. The conclusion last time was that's not a good idea to use any kind of oil with pearls - other than the oil that comes naturally off the skin when you wear them.

Some oils even harden and could potentially leave a layer on your pearls. Personally I wouldn't.

- Karin

Comment

• I had rubbed olive oil on one strand and didn't like the result. It seemed the oil even attracted dirt and dust faster. I didn't even think it was more shiny. Maybe it's all in my head but it looked dirty, coated. So I eventually wiped it with moist cloth to get rid of the oil.
            Cathy

Comment

• Karin, my friend didn't mention the discolored threads. It's good to know that it's not recommended before I actually put those oils on mine! (relief) She was talking about cracking and peeling so I was concerned...if it's not an issue then I won't want anything to get on my pearls.

Originally posted by KarinK View Post
              And how does you friend like the new colour of the once-white silk thread

The topic has been up before but so has many topics during PG's lifespan. The conclusion last time was that's not a good idea to use any kind of oil with pearls - other than the oil that comes naturally off the skin when you wear them.

Some oils even harden and could potentially leave a layer on your pearls. Personally I wouldn't.

- Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hanaleimom View Post
                I had rubbed olive oil on one strand and didn't like the result. It seemed the oil even attracted dirt and dust faster. I didn't even think it was more shiny. Maybe it's all in my head but it looked dirty, coated. So I eventually wiped it with moist cloth to get rid of the oil.
                Cathy you've just reminded me of the kitchen walls... oil not an option on pearls definitely!

Comment

• Originally posted by AWeng View Post
                  Karin, my friend didn't mention the discolored threads. It's good to know that it's not recommended before I actually put those oils on mine! (relief) She was talking about cracking and peeling so I was concerned...if it's not an issue then I won't want anything to get on my pearls.
                  Cracking and peeling? I'm wondering if your friend's pearls might be fake pearls. Good pearls shouldn't be cracking and peeling. I'm not an expert on vintage but the one akoya strand I did have had been sitting in a safe for at least 30 years. They were not as high luster as akoya usually is but I'm sure they ever were. No cracking or peeling, though.

- Karin

Comment

• very good advice

Very good ... everything my firm has recommended for 40 years .

Originally posted by purepearls View Post
                    Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you're anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colors) before putting them away.

Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface. Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Also, remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration. Be very careful with substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.

Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewelry cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.

Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch. Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or in a hot environment, leave a damp cloth nearby.

Restring pearls once a year if worn often. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.

Amanda Raab
                    President
                    PurePearls.com
                    pearlman@mlange.org

Comment

• I restrung my great grandmother's akoyas today, after reading this thread. First, I put them on cotton thread and gave them a sudsy bath. This got them nice and clean, outside and inside. I 'dried' them for about an hour in a damp towel and then knotted them on powerpro. Wow, they look so new and happy. Pity they're akoyas and I have to put them away. I want to wear them!
                      Sarah Blue

"She is mine own, and I as rich in having such a jewel as twenty seas, if all their sand were pearl, the water nectar, and the rocks pure gold." ~ William Shakespeare

Comment

• Oh Sarah, I hope you just wear and enjoy them!!!

Comment

• Sarah, I agree with Marianne, wear and enjoy~they probably have the thicker nacre and will actually benefit from being worn and loved!
                          Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

• My goodness, wear them!

The way I see it is, my pearls won't last forever, but neither will I. I am determined to enjoy what I own, period!

Comment

• Think about it as a "cost per wearing" proposition! Older akoyas should have good nacre thickness.

Comment

• I'll wear them on our next night out, I just don't feel like I can wear them as frequently as I'd like. The smallest pearls were worn and came off with the ones I removed. The makeover freshened them considerably and washing them on cotton thread did a nice job cleaning the holes, something I learned on this thread.
                                Sarah Blue

"She is mine own, and I as rich in having such a jewel as twenty seas, if all their sand were pearl, the water nectar, and the rocks pure gold." ~ William Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                                X