Pearls displayed in a museum

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
What are the rules for displaying pearls in a museum or jeweler's window? A lighted display box would be the best way to view the pearls, but is it best for the pearls themselves? What safeguards should be in place to protect the pearls? how long can they safely be displayed? does constant light exposure change the color or iridescence of the pearl? Thanks!

There are a lot of Unknowns here are you doing this for a museum? Jewellery store? or to sell at a trade show?

The Best thing to do here would be to contact some of the museums that were part of the Pearls exhibit a few years ago and ask the curators of said exhibit these questions. I am sure some would be willing to help you.

Good Luck!

Hi, Wendy. Good to see you. Ash, it was just a question. Don't read anything into it.

Hello Knotty good to see you.

I understand there are guidelines - often filed away under costume & fabric conservation, and that light intensity is recommended to be under 300 lux (around the level of normal office lighting)

In retail the bigger issue is humidity or more correct the lack of - a good retailer will manage that and change the window stock regularly.

Knotty,

Trying to be helpful. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers
Ash :)

Thanks for the comment! I always feel so sorry for those royal jewels housed in a light box so everyone can see them, but they are choking on the dry air. I also thought this would be an interesting topic that hadn't been explored on the forum. Hope you are well!

I also understand there are guidelines - often filed away under costume & fabric conservation, and that light intensity is recommended to be under 300 lux

Back