Pearl ring care

Kirisuchina

Hello all. I'm a new pearl owner/wearer. As my 30th wedding anniversary approached, hubby sweetly said he wanted to buy me pearls. Besides doubting that I would wear a strand of pearls very often, after 30 years with a simple gold band (we were broke when we got married!) I felt ready for a little daily bling, so began looking at pearl rings. To make a long story somewhat shorter, the perfect ring made itself known in a New Orleans shop on New Year's eve, when I was accompanied by not only my husband but my two sons, who live halfway around the world from us. Magical. The ring has two unusual pearls, which represent our two amazing sons, and the band is 14K gold, matching my wedding band perfectly. I understand that they are likely Chinese freshwater pearls.

Now my question. I have read through all 17 pages here on pearl care and cleaning but did not find much that was helpful on ring care. I do want to wear it nonstop if possible. I learned here to avoid anything but mild soap. I'm sure it will get gunked up eventually and need cleaning--then what? Just a very soft brush as advised for necklaces? And am I at risk of damaging it when I accidentally knock them against a wall, etc.?

Any advice most welcome K's pearl ring (2).jpg

I love blue pearls. Enjoy your new ring!

I tend to think of pearl rings as special occasion rings. That doesn't mean you can't wear it all the time. Just do not wear it while washing dishes, laundry, or cleaning the house, or digging in the garden. Keep it away from any kind of cleaners, such as Windex, 409, bleach, etc. And vinegar will just eat pearls like crazy, so even the "mild" cleaners will do a number on pearls. Do not cook or make salads with the ring on, as oil and acids (vinegar, wine, lemon, tomato, etc.) will either gunk up the ring or eat away the pearls. Don't knead dough or mold hamburgers while wearing the ring. Don't wear it while bathing or doing your hair or makeup, either.

So, yes, you can wear it, but remove it frequently when cooking or cleaning. Get a couple of little ring stands that you can put in the kitchen and your bathroom, so you will always know where the ring is when you have removed it. And make sure the ring stands are away from the stove or sink, so the ring won't get any airborne grease or acids or cleaners sprayed on it.

If you remove the ring when doing these things, it should not get gunked up. Gentle washing in soap and water should be fine. A very soft baby toothbrush could be used to get in at the prongs, but only if necessary. Otherwise try not to do anything to abrade the pearls.

Last edited:
I love blue pearls too! BW is spot on with her advice. Your ring is beautiful and should be worn and enjoyed, but I also would avoid any activity that might expose your pearl ring to damage. Also, remember the "last-on, first-off" concept with respect to contact with makeup and perfume.

Stay!

Stay!

Dear BWeaves,
You inspired me to find this fun item for parking my ring
ring holder.jpg

Thanks!

Kirisuchina, what an adorable ring holder! Welcome to Pearl-Guide :)

Kirisuchina! Amazing ring! Welcome to Pearl-Guide

Back