never seen before needle

pearl-man

I'm back.........I have been stringing and selling for 49+ years and have NO experience with this needle. Of my
customers only 2-3 really know about stringing. I am a silk adherent although my associate has just tried super
silk (name) and she likes it. So it goes. I was given 10,000 meters of # D from a friend in Japan when I mentioned
we could not find #D any more. Enough!
I am going to try and post a picture of the needle and would appreciate any information. Good info gets a secret
prize.....
What is this? DSCN0112.JPG

For someone who used this infrequently the old brain got through the picture upload easy....Kudos.

My very favourite type of needle. Big eye or collapsible eye needles. Not only are they easy to thread but the eye adds very little bulk as well, which is great when back threading.

There are also different lengths of these as well, from 2 inches to a huge 5 inches one that I can't imagine the use of. Amazon carries a lot of different choices. I have both Pattye's and Beadalon.

Pattye's big eye needles are the best for stringing pearls or beads. Easy to thread and easy to use when beading.

Big eye needles - can get them from ..well everywhere... I have always used them until I tried Pattyes fine needle with the large -ish loop on the end. I find the big eye is great but hard to use on some clasps . Also you need to keep adjusting the placement of the needle on the thread as it cuts through if you have to drag the thread with resistance. Those other needles of Pattyes are a little 'weaker' ie not as stiff ..but they work well on clasps with cross bars inside ..and they don't cut the thread.

We always go back through and I think this needle may cut the silk. I'm not sure how. convenient it would nbe with French wire. At present and for the last 20 years have used a solid needle made in Japan with a small hole admittedly but easily accommodates a leader.
I have a large honey farm / factory near me if anyone needs beeswax . Not cheap but super. Store stuff us often mixed with candle wax.
We keep fresh by wrapping it up.

PD

Many years ago in Elgin ,Illinois, yes home of Elgin watches at that time, customer of mine and store near factory. This gentleman made his own needles with watch hair spring. Insert middle of an 8" piece in drill Chuck ..grip lightly with a pliers and draw away from the Chuck.
Vola great stiff needles any length he wanted.
PD

Back