Recieved diploma from GIA in Graduate Pearls!

SunSeeker

I also received my GIA Alumni Association card in the mail this week, from the GIA Pearls program I completed last fall. (Yea, me!) I mention it here because although I feel the online course content is well represented I think it only highlights how much more information there is for me to learn. Also, the videos are terrific in the online course and it was fun to see Jeremy?s influence in the course content.

The lab class was not what I had expected?it was way too much time spent listening to lecture material already covered in the online course. I had completed most of the online class before attending the lab, so a lot of the content was review for me. I would have rather spent the entire day handling and evaluating pearls. But the instructor was fine so overall it was a good experience and I was happy to complete the lab so that I could finish the program. GIA did provide a really nice color chart, so that was a plus. And of course spending the day in NYC is always a joy!

But honestly, I think I?ve learned more about pearls from the books I?ve read and PG people I?ve interacted with on this site. (Thank you PG!) All-in-all, I?m glad I completed the course because I guess it does give me a little more credibility when trying to sell my jewelry. But in reality, until I?ve handled hundreds of strands, I realize I won?t have the practical experience that I truly need to be very knowledgeable in this field.

Congratulations, SunSeeker! You must be proud of such an accomplishment, I would be:).

A wonderful accomplishment. Actually, that big pearl color chart is a highly coveted trophy from taking the class. :)

Congratulations Sunseeker!

Congratulations!
It sounded very worth while - then add all the pearls you'll be handling over the years and you'll be flying!

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words!

Katbran, GIA allows 6 months to complete the online course which is comprised of 8 sections of approximately 30-40 slides each, plus the video extras. There is a quiz after each section (15 questions) and a final exam to complete the course, but its all open book and not timed. I did not purchase the book, but instead, downloaded the 300 pg .pdf version. Each section took me 1-2 days to complete, but I spread it out over several months as I was mostly doing them on the weekends. To complete the pearls program, I took the one day lab, instead of the 2 half-day option, as the scheduling just worked out better for me. Now I'm ready to start touring pearl farms and seeing these concepts in action!

SunSeeker - Congratulations on your accomplishment! Now the fun begins!!!

Back