Free ssef online pearl course

It looks like a good option to learn even more about pearls :D
Thank you Hyun! I will check this out on my return :)

I finished the course in just over an hour. Fouled up the question that used Swiss Francs :(
It has great photos and interesting videos.
SSEF Course.png

The course is nicely done but basic. Pearls as One is definitively much more complete...but I believe ALL pearl education is a must! Good job by Dr Laurent Cartier and SSEF :35::35::35:

I finished the course in just over an hour. The course is nicely done but basic. Pearls as One is definitively much more complete...but I believe ALL pearl education is a must! Good job by Dr Laurent Cartier and SSEF :35::35::35:

I finished it in about the same time and have the same impression, Douglas. Pearls as One is more thorough. I have issues with the natural pearl sections in both, but when I remind myself it's an ID guide for cultured pearls and not a treatise of pearl formation and/or their causes, it's all good.

Etiology and pathology are quite boring subjects to the average individual, but I would have hoped the labs took it a bit more seriously.

I agree Lagoon Island Pearls
They probably could have also designed a course that would "supplement" the Pearls as One course...focusing more on treatments, processing and identification.

I agree Lagoon Island Pearls
They probably could have also designed a course that would "supplement" the Pearls as One course...focusing more on treatments, processing and identification.

Yes, advanced courses are a good idea for those who are more inclined. In most industries, R&D is spearheaded by the industry itself. Not so much in pearl culture but for it's marginal nature and technological protectionism. In the natural world, marketable or not marketable are irrelevant terms. The average consumer and most pearl markets/farms have no real interest in the greater understanding of epithelial behavior beyond what they already know.

Too bad too, because I'm probably the only person on the planet who can produce natural pearls on demand (especially at the point of onset) and able to ship them properly live or fixed for high level analysis.

I don't look upon pearls as baroque, keshi or dimpled. I see them as periostracial, myostracial, xeno or homogeneic, sterile or non-sterile, anuclear, mononuclear or polynuclear. Every pearl is observed and recorded post mortem for it's type and onset.

I may publish all this one day when my legs give out, but for now I'm perfectly content to continue my field work instead.

I would really like to read a book you will create of this subject Dave! :arms:

My quick review on the SSEF course.

the course is just as described, introductory, and hits the right level for people who may be new to pearls, or working in a retail shop selling pearls and jewellery.

The material is presented clearly, except for the trick question with Swiss Francs, and shouldn’t overwhelm the participant.

As a primer type course, I could see this being the seed from which further interest in pearls could grow.

And even for people with experience/prior learning, there is often a golden nugget or two of information that might have slipped from memory, or not come to your notice beforehand.

My quick review on the SSEF course.

the course is just as described, introductory, and hits the right level for people who may be new to pearls, or working in a retail shop selling pearls and jewellery.

The material is presented clearly, except for the trick question with Swiss Francs, and shouldn’t overwhelm the participant.

As a primer type course, I could see this being the seed from which further interest in pearls could grow.

And even for people with experience/prior learning, there is often a golden nugget or two of information that might have slipped from memory, or not come to your notice beforehand.

I agree wholeheartedly! And Students wanting to increase their edge should head out to Pearls as One! :D

Back