Pearl Books & Resources

Douglas, how did you get a copy so early??? I checked on Amazon, and they say September 2021. I checked eBay, and got only very strange results...

It is a great book CortezPearls. I have had it for a month. Ordered it from a swedish online bookstore. Wendy also has it on her website. You can order a copy there Linda.wald. It might take a while to get it to us, but not until september at least. You might have to pay some tax but at least no shipping over 5£.

Douglas, how did you get a copy so early??? I checked on Amazon, and they say September 2021. I checked eBay, and got only very strange results...

Got it from Wendy's site Linda! Since the site is an eStore I cannot (none should after all) place the link here, but I know you will manage :)

BTW...I came across this site just about 30 minutes ago...it is ACIAR's site (Australian Government) and it talks about a project with Women & Mabe Pearls in the islands of Fiji, Tonga and New Guinea. Very interesting...and they have a very nice video that shows you their aquaculture system (they use "Mabe-gai" pearl oysters or Pteria penguin) and you should see how pretty the pearl oysters look in their "rope culture" system.
The idea is for women to become empowered via Mabe pearl culture, make their own jewelry and sell it to tourists...but -of course- COVID has disrupted these plans :(
I highly recommend this read and their video. Please use this link!
barb%20with%20jewels.jpg

Me too Pattye! We need more people like these in our Pearl World :)

CortezPearls thank you for sharing this article, so interesting!

I love this part: "Since clothes were quite low cut in those days, women wore heavy headgear or strings of pearls around your shoulders dropping down into your cleavage as opposed to around your neck. "

Ties into the call for swag colliers in the style channel. I wonder what would be the best way to affix a strand to the shoulder of a garment, short of literally sewing them down...an unobtrusive pin maybe, or larger brooch. Suddenly I want to try this, could create a great boat-neck silhouette..

CortezPearls thank you for sharing this article, so interesting!

I love this part: "Since clothes were quite low cut in those days, women wore heavy headgear or strings of pearls around your shoulders dropping down into your cleavage as opposed to around your neck. "

Ties into the call for swag colliers in the style channel. I wonder what would be the best way to affix a strand to the shoulder of a garment, short of literally sewing them down...an unobtrusive pin maybe, or larger brooch. Suddenly I want to try this, could create a great boat-neck silhouette..

I would like to see how these were worn. I don't believe I have seen it in photos, nor movies nor portraits.

Pearls were rarely knotted back then, it’s only in the last few decades that it has become the standard style of stringing.

People lived different lifestyles to what we see today, and the pearls themselves have become bigger and heavier.

For the Agatha Christie fans what a fantastic find- was a few years ago but still sticks in my memory.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-29537814

wow! That is an interesting story in itself! Never heard of this missing "treasure trunk" of hers. She was full of mistery!

Back