Pearl Books & Resources

Wow, that's an interesting book Douglas! Congratulations on your inclusion. But penguin pelts???

Pelican Pelts Cathy :)
Yes, very weird...the reason the town I live in is named "Guaymas" is because the name derives from a Clan or Band of Seri Indians known as the "Pelican people" or "Guaimas" in their tongue.
I have this photo from the Seri Museum in Kino Bay of the last traditional chieftain of the guaimas people...still using a pelican pelt kilt.
Seri chief 2 copy.jpg

Glad you did Linda :)
I'm sure you will enjoy it...there is a certain poetry in it.

Thank you for sharing Douglas! I will order a copy! What an interesting choice to wear pelican skin as a kilt!

These Seri wore the pelts with the feathers "inside" and the bird's leather outside. Guess they liked their garments soft-&-fluffy ;)

OOO, that sounds interesting. I'm off to order it now. Thank you, Douglas.

Native peoples round the world used what resources were at hand, managing to make art wherever they were. While it's odd to us, routine to them, at least if you were a chief :). I wondered where the feathers went; thanks for answering that Douglas; so interesting. And ... are there still penguins in Guaymas? Or did they trade for the pelts? I need to order that book.

Not penguins dear CathyKeshi, but "brown pelicans" from the Sea of Cortez.

It gets TOO HOT down here for penguins.
What I always wanted to ask the Seri (I asked them mostly about medicinal uses of plants in my week-long stay with them) is how did they get rid of the "corucos" or "bird-lice"...they are hideously large and scary!!! Never in my life I would wear a pelican pelt kilt if it had JUST ONE of these hideous critters! Yikes...makes my skin crawl! :(

Pelicans.jpg

Hello dear forum Members! Giving this thread a bump!
I have been finding information nuggets (or, better yet...keshi) and been thinking of adding them here on the forum and I INVITE you all to also share these articles that you deem interesting here in this thread...what do you think? Hope you like the idea :)

The first one I will share is this one about the quest of a Baja Californian woman for the fabled natural pearls found in the British Royals crowns and jewels... just click HERE to read it!
BTW: available in English & Spanish :)

Cheers!

This one about a "Lucky Man" that found a rare Melo-Pearl in Thailand!
READ HERE

I've seen reports that he has been arrested and this is a scam

Could be! The one I did hear that was a scam (and it seems waaay too common now) is that about the giant clam pearl in the Philippines.
In any case, if you have that info Wendy, please share it as a follow up!

Could be! The one I did hear that was a scam (and it seems waaay too common now) is that about the giant clam pearl in the Philippines.

scam.JPG
Slightly shaky translation from Thai
For Mr. Code Chai, it was a news report for picking orange pearls or ′′ pearl melo ′′ which is rare in the seaside area behind the house. It was hilariously posted on Facebook that there was a businessman. I want to buy for 5 million baht, but I haven't sold it. When Melo was found, there was a Sheriff of Hua Sai and villagers travelling to see Melo pearl continuously. #until the officer entered. Make an arrest.

View attachment 77744
Slightly shaky translation from Thai
For Mr. Code Chai, it was a news report for picking orange pearls or ′′ pearl melo ′′ which is rare in the seaside area behind the house. It was hilariously posted on Facebook that there was a businessman. I want to buy for 5 million baht, but I haven't sold it. When Melo was found, there was a Sheriff of Hua Sai and villagers travelling to see Melo pearl continuously. #until the officer entered. Make an arrest.
Okay, further research. Pearl info may or may not be accurate (why the Pteria shells?) but it seems the man celebrated in unadvised ways
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-n...rman-arrest-drug-charges-nakhon-si-thammarat/

Last edited:
Great place to stick interesting articles Douglas, great idea! Now I need to fine an extra few hours each week to catch up on them all!

Yes, and we could have discussions on the articles and breaking news :)
Like this "Melo Con-Man", although the photo of the accused pearl does look like a Melo.

Back