Pearl Buying Guide 6th edition by Renee Newman

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
The 6th edition of Renee Newman's excellent Pearl Buying Guide is now available!

IMO this is one book every pearl buyer should read. I just placed my order. :) (I have the 5th edition, but that dates from 2010 and a lot has happened since then, especially with freshwater pearls.)

Here it is on Amazon at $15.66:
https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying-Guide-Identify-Evaluate/dp/0929975529/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487168680&sr=8-2&keywords=pearl+buying+guide

(I see lower priced used copies but I would think those would likely be earlier editions.)

For more information, see: http://reneenewman.com/pearl.htm

Changes in the NEW 6th Edition:
* 186 new photographs of pearls, pearl jewelry, neck pieces and pearl x-radiographs
* Updated information on pearl types, geographic sources and freshwater pearls
* Expanded chapter on natural pearls
* Expanded chapter on "Creating Unique Pearl Jewelry with Colored Gems."
* New pearls and pearl jewelry styles

Last edited:
I preordered for $19.99 and then the price went down when it was released, and I asked for a refund, which I got. I get this book every time there's a new edition. It was fun to see so many names in it that I recognize from this forum.

Thank you, PD - I just ordered a copy, can't wait for it to arrive.

This is a great book. I got it from Renee in Tucson when I was able to sit in on her seminar on Jade! Look for that book soon. She's a pretty cool dude.

Mine came last week. So many beautiful new. photos, many from our favorite vendors. Love it, and highly recommend getting it.

Posted this to the facebook site. Looking forward to my copy! Thanks for the update Pearl Dreams.

Thanks for posting this! I collect books too and would love a book on pearls...I'm going to see if I can find this on the .ca Amazon site!

All of Renee's books are great, by the way. Her Exotic Gems series is an interesting way to expand your gem knowledge. :)

My copy arrived today and I am just sitting down to read it. :)

We have some of Renee's other books: Exotic Gems (volumes 1, 2 and 3 only) and Rare Gemstones. I recommend all of them!

I love the Exotic Gems series, too. I haven't bought the 4th one, yet.

Renee just asked me to be in her next edition and her seminars with my "creative pearl jewelry"! So excited. Sent her photos to use. It's nice to get that kind of pat on the back.

I picked up the book last night after meeting Renee. She was kind enough to sign it, we had a really nice time and a wonderful chat (and she liked the wolf head necklace I had on). If you are a SF Bay Area GIA Alum she will be speaking at the Golden Gate Chapter soon, even if you are not an Alum you can attended the lecture just ask someone you know that is an Alum for the times. In the mean time I will post here when I find out more.

I've bought every edition. The new information is good, and the photos change a bit.

Just went thru mine again for a refresher...Its the 2nd Ed...Guess its over 10 yrs old

Back