Show us your thrift store/charity store/yard sale/estate sale "finds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your thrift store/charity store/yard sale/estate sale "finds"

In the "What kind of pearls do I have?" forum, a couple of us started discussing how much we like to shop in thrift stores. Someone in that forum had found a fabulous string of pearls at a thrift shop/charity shop.

Voila, a new thread, off-topic, is born. C'mon thrifters, yard salers, et al, show us some of your "finds". I'll start with this thrift store necklace. The pearls feel gritty/real, are off-round or maybe "potato" (???) and the strand is accented with what appears to be murano glass beads.

And following those pics will be pictures of a genuine Hermes scarf I got at a thrift for $4 -- seeing as not all "finds" are pearls. (next post)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CowPrincess; 05-25-2012, 12:28 AM. Reason: Enhanced title I hope

The $4 scarf
    Attached Files

Comment

This is going to be fun!
      Last edited by lisa c; 05-25-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Do eBay bargains count? I'll try to find my daughter's thrift store pearl find and photo it. How about finding stuff other places? like one member found some pearls in the curbside trash.
        Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

IMHO any amazing low-cost/no-cost "find" should be included Pearls in the curbside trash? Oh yeah!!!! Ebay deals? Oh yeah!!!! Bottom of a cardboard box? Definitely! Again my humble opinion -- the fewer rules, the more fun for a thread like this. I need to find my "bottom of a packing box" earrings.....

Comment

I'm impressed with the 4$ pearls!!! Good thread idea I'll have to break out the 5$ chinese pearl necklaces that I started out with .. lol
            https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

So I tried to edit/amend the actual thread title and apparently can't figure out HOW to add "ebay/freebie" to the title that shows up on the forum. Anyone?

Comment

I like this thread idea too bad it "sputtered". So I'll just say this. When I was in High-school, I had a summer job working at an Electronics store, counting inventory shipments (no fun, hundreds of thousands sku codes). In one box at the very bottom of all these batteries tiny lightbulb packages was a pearl necklace with a "gold & pearl" clasp, the shipment box came from overseas, and the owner said to me finders keepers and walked away, so I gave them to my grandma. At the time grandma said they were "real", but I was young maybe she wanted me to feel good about what I found. I just had a convo with a sibling about this a few days back, so it is ironic I found this old thread.
                No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Comment

Great story! Yes, by all means post your scores here.

Comment

Happy New Year! My sister Jennie was visiting me over Christmas to the New Year, and since she’d rented a car.....it seemed like my Thrift Store Angel was calling me to look for cutlery. Well, there was indeed an unusual abundance of cutlery, looking good but it was ‘bendy blade’, so forget it.

It turns out it was the PearlAngel calling - I got just what I’d been hoping for, early Chinese RiceKrispie fresh waters! Super price, Plain old pot metal clasp, and not even pretending to be a real necklace (nasty finishing knot) so I won’t mind breaking it to make a rope!

B758A879-D319-4B3D-83AC-497FA82A1DB6.jpeg

Comment

And, 2 bracelets,
                      3AB55713-3965-47D8-80B8-084C88DFAA44.jpeg
                      Last edited by lisa c; 01-04-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

And a necklace that broke when I picked it up, but that’s ok. Dyed freshwater pearls and nuggets of ?
                        E5B108D2-C0AB-4929-AA0E-1408FF4FC349.jpeg

Comment

Only the Rice Krispies have been washed, the others need a bath. The bracelet on the right I wondered - operculum? Then I thought glass, because they were all similar in appearance, but they have the grit factor, and now I see the differences, so I’m just confused.
                          AB1D74E9-9225-455C-AC01-AAAF8F988C61.jpeg some have nacre, some have not.
                          Fun thrift store finds, less than $30 total for a Pearl-fix between big purchases, eh?
                          Last edited by lisa c; 01-04-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Nice finds, Lisa! Looks like Tiger-eye jasper nuggets, and carved shell in the bracelet.

Comment

Hi, Pearl Dreams! Happy New Year and Thank you! I thought I might find what they were if I could find my Fire Mt Gems catalogue, but you as a wise-eye would know! I’m grateful.

I wish I’d taken more care with the photography to color correct, but I was too eager to post, to perhaps revive the thread. The Rice Krispies are eggshell white (with flashes of color), the polished shell is caramel and cream, the glass bead and pearl bracelet has pinkypeach tones.
                              (Frankly, an accurate photo speaks more than a description. I was using ambient light, which is pretty blue these winter days.)

Humble, yet lovable.
                              Last edited by lisa c; 01-04-2022, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X