Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh wow, exciting stuff - 2 young, robust looking (not) eagles are parked outside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotta
    replied
    No...just the one. I guess that other stick thinghy is a bird as well...

Leave a comment:

• Happy Huku
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlotta View Post
    Cool bird. I had a hard time finding it in that last photo
    Did you find both of them in the photo? Amazing, aren't they.

Leave a comment:

• Charlotta
    replied
    Cool bird. I had a hard time finding it in that last photo

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    They look almost like the bark of the tree...great camouflage!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Huku
    replied
    And this is how the Tawny Frogmouths normally spends their days... almost invisible!

image_69107.jpg

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Cute lil' thing!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Huku
    replied
    Meet one of the Tawny Frogmouths that lives on our property. How can you not love that little face?
    They usually flatten themselves against the branches and you hardly know they are there. This was the first time I have seen one looking at me like this.

Tawny frogmouth.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Happy Huku
    replied
    Originally posted by CortezPearls View Post
    Yesterday I took a walk to our local mangrove forest. It was teeming with bird life and I had to chance to admire several white pelicans, egrets and...the Spoonbills. Many people believe they are Flamingoes due to their pink feathers and long necks and legs, but they are quite different. The photo (taken with my phone) simply does not capture the details...but it was so nice to be out there and see these splendid birds
    [ATTACH]77933[/ATTACH]
    Those spoonbills are amazing!

Leave a comment:

• Katbran
    replied
    Great photos! Is the Blue one with a crest a BlueJay ? I'm sure you are going to enjoy watching them - hopefully they will nest where you can watch them.

Leave a comment:

• 2thdktr
    replied
    Originally posted by lisa c View Post
    Nope, I didnít see any pictures of eagles like what Iím seeing.

I think itís a honking big juvenile red tailed hawk! Itís got the creamy white chest from right under the yellow bill, and not huge talons, and an intricate brown and cream pattern on the back. Time and more sightings will tell.
    But if itís one of the hawks from down below my building, why are the crows and the blue birds screaming and triangulating only now? Why not before? What a glorious world full of research to do!
    [ATTACH]77089[/ATTACH]
    This photo is from Wikipedia.
    Your original picture does look like a red tailed hawk-- we have many here in RI as well and I see them often on my property as I live in the woods. It also could be a Cooper's hawk which are more brown-- but you would would see horizontal stripes on the tail of the adult.

Leave a comment:

• Charlotta
    replied
    Beautiful photos CortezPearls. That bird is so cool.

Leave a comment:

• Pearl Dreams
    replied
    Gorgeous color!

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    800px-Roseate_Spoonbill_-_Myakka_River_State_Park.jpg
    Aren't they gorgeous?
    Photo from Wikipedia BTW.

If they have their head up they would probably reach around my stomach.

More info from the Audubon Society

Leave a comment:

• pearlescence
    replied
    What size are these spoonbill, Douglas. I remember my surprise at how tiny flamingoes are when I saw them in the park in Kowloon

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Yesterday I took a walk to our local mangrove forest. It was teeming with bird life and I had to chance to admire several white pelicans, egrets and...the Spoonbills. Many people believe they are Flamingoes due to their pink feathers and long necks and legs, but they are quite different. The photo (taken with my phone) simply does not capture the details...but it was so nice to be out there and see these splendid birds
    IMG_20210227_171739705.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X