Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh wow, exciting stuff - 2 young, robust looking (not) eagles are parked outside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I've ever known I have seen are falcons. This is very cool!

Comment

Pattye, dear Lord, did you witness Carlos being snatched? How awful, if you did, but maybe you saved his life? That poor baby! I’m glad he survived. Nature sure can be harsh.

Comment

Is there a way to change thread titles? I’d love to change it to ...(Not)eagles, because they aren’t eagles, and speed-readers might miss that, since I precipitously announced that they were eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by lisa c View Post
          Is there a way to change thread titles? I’d love to change it to ...(Not)eagles, because they aren’t eagles, and speed-readers might miss that, since I precipitously announced that they were eagles.
          I believe I can...let me try (never done it before!)
          Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
          Follow Me!
          Instagram
          YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
          Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Hey, you did it! Thank you Douglas, to infinity. I know it’s not an encyclopedia or anything, I don’t know why it matters so much to me to be accurate, since I make so many mistakes - but I’m grateful to you. You’re a peach!

Comment

How thrilling to see those massive birds in your treetops, lisa c. Look forward to more photos.
              Eagles, hawks, falcons, goshawks, they are all magnificent to see up close. Those eyes and talons and the effortless gliding in the thermals.
              And the other birds are so brave to defend their patch. Not sure I would have the courage!! We know when a bird of prey is around our place because all the other birds let each other (and us) know.
              We often see sea eagles at the beach and the occasional wedge tail eagle in our neighbourhood, otherwise we are most fortunate to see a variety of glorious coloured parrots, lorikeets, cockatoos, galahs and rosellas around the house.
              Happy Huku
              Queensland
              Australia

Comment

Hi Happy Huku! I’m so glad to hear what you had to say, I had no idea birds talked to each other across groups so I find it thrilling!
                Also on a walk I saw our building bird-watcher, he confirmed the red-tailed hawks, and he pointed out their home tree, and also the peregrine falcon tree...also that the property owner put different feed out.

At my old house, the birds would feed in my backyard, but in uniform groups. If there was cross-talk I was too ignorant to recognize it. They were all relatively small, and seemed to take turns guarding and eating under and within a wild rose bush. The cardinals were the flashiest. The block had feral cats, so I used to wonder why the birds weren’t more nervous. Happy birding, everyone.

Comment

Pattye, dear Lord, did you witness Carlos being snatched? How awful, if you did, but maybe you saved his life? That poor baby! I’m glad he survived. Nature sure can be harsh.
                  That would have been AWFUL to see, Lisa, nobody in our family saw it happen. Fortunately, Carlos slowly healed and lived 4 more years! I should have finished my story ~ we need happy endings these days!

Charlotta, fascinating how the water comes right up to those mossy boulders.

What exotic colorful birds inhabit Australia, Happy Huku!

More stories and photos, please!
                  Last edited by pattye; 01-19-2021, 05:07 AM.
                  Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Hey, you did it! Thank you Douglas, to infinity. I know it’s not an encyclopedia or anything, I don’t know why it matters so much to me to be accurate, since I make so many mistakes - but I’m grateful to you. You’re a peach!
                    Ow...shucks! Made me blush
                    I'm always happy to help. It's my calling, so anytime Lisa C!
                    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                    Follow Me!
                    Instagram
                    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
                    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Yesterday I took a walk to our local mangrove forest. It was teeming with bird life and I had to chance to admire several white pelicans, egrets and...the Spoonbills. Many people believe they are Flamingoes due to their pink feathers and long necks and legs, but they are quite different. The photo (taken with my phone) simply does not capture the details...but it was so nice to be out there and see these splendid birds
                      IMG_20210227_171739705.jpg
                      Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                      Follow Me!
                      Instagram
                      YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

What size are these spoonbill, Douglas. I remember my surprise at how tiny flamingoes are when I saw them in the park in Kowloon
                        Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                        www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

800px-Roseate_Spoonbill_-_Myakka_River_State_Park.jpg
                          Aren't they gorgeous?
                          Photo from Wikipedia BTW.

If they have their head up they would probably reach around my stomach.

More info from the Audubon Society
                          Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                          Follow Me!
                          Instagram
                          YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Gorgeous color!

Comment

Beautiful photos CortezPearls. That bird is so cool.

Comment

Nope, I didnít see any pictures of eagles like what Iím seeing.

I think itís a honking big juvenile red tailed hawk! Itís got the creamy white chest from right under the yellow bill, and not huge talons, and an intricate brown and cream pattern on the back. Time and more sightings will tell.
                                But if itís one of the hawks from down below my building, why are the crows and the blue birds screaming and triangulating only now? Why not before? What a glorious world full of research to do!
                                [ATTACH]77089[/ATTACH]
                                This photo is from Wikipedia.
                                Your original picture does look like a red tailed hawk-- we have many here in RI as well and I see them often on my property as I live in the woods. It also could be a Cooper's hawk which are more brown-- but you would would see horizontal stripes on the tail of the adult.

Comment

Working...
                                X