My Natural Pearl Collection

Thank you Cathy and multichrome. Trying my best! I had a very bad arm day yesterday, but I'm hoping I will be getting better with some therapy.
Thank you!

Hi! It’s been forever but I thought I’d do a final update on the mystery strand of pearls. I finally sent them to GIA a year ago and they came back as cultured. Not disappointed at all about this; I was able to restring them and took a good look at the drill holes. The nacre is thick so I think it’s safe to say this is an early cultured strand. This was easily one of the most fortunate pearl purchases I ever made.

Hi! It’s been forever but I thought I’d do a final update on the mystery strand of pearls. I finally sent them to GIA a year ago and they came back as cultured. Not disappointed at all about this; I was able to restring them and took a good look at the drill holes. The nacre is thick so I think it’s safe to say this is an early cultured strand. This was easily one of the most fortunate pearl purchases I ever made.
Wow! Well, it is not unfortunate at all, and that thick nacre thickness will ensure that the necklace will become a Family Heirloom to be cherished for centuries.

Some new pipis just added to the collection. I should really take photos of all the natural pearls which have been added in the past several years...

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Biggest sized pipi I've ever held!! Over 7mm and excellent quality. Usually the bigger sized pearls out of pipis have fair to poor surface quality and luster. 7mm is very large for the species. Strack states the average size for the species is 4-5mm but that information is outdated and what I've seen is the average size is 3-4mm. This is the most common size, with many more on the lower end of the range. It'll be interesting to see what climate change will do to average pearl sizes. My expectation based on my biological understanding is that we'll see more smaller pearls more frequently with the current average becoming less numerous. That's of course if the species doesn't die off.
IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

Biggest sized pipi I've ever held!! Over 7mm and excellent quality. Usually the bigger sized pearls out of pipis have fair to poor surface quality and luster. 7mm is very large for the species. Strack states the average size for the species is 4-5mm but that information is outdated and what I've seen is the average size is 3-4mm. This is the most common size, with many more on the lower end of the range. It'll be interesting to see what climate change will do to average pearl sizes. My expectation based on my biological understanding is that we'll see more smaller pearls more frequently with the current average becoming less numerous. That's of course if the species doesn't die off.
View attachment 468592
View attachment 468593
Wow. Very lovely! And good sized for a Pipi Pearl!

Back