My Natural Pearl Collection

Finally got the ring in. Here's a photo with the two pipis that will eventually replace the white pearls :) Happy 4th! art deco pipi mine diamond ring project.jpg

Thanks, Pattye! I think the side gallery kind of looks like a bridge. I'm actually thinking of outsourcing this to a jeweler bc I have no experience setting pearls and I'm afraid of messing it up! If anyone has trusted jeweler folks for recommendation or is one themselves, I'd love to hear 😊

Wow...lovely piece! I'm feeling a little 'green-eyed-monster' over this one. The combination of angular shapes and the gorgeous little golden pearls will be divine. Be sure to post when it's done.

The project is coming along nicely now that I've got the appropriately sized drill bits in. However, after half drilling one of the pearls today, there was some discoloration on the top of the pearl, just off center. It's like a opaque whitish spot and it's very noticible, especially to me since there wasn't any discoloration on the pearl before drilling. I was careful not to let the pearl get hot while drilling so I'm not sure what would have caused this otherwise. It's kind of killing me because I do not have another pipi if the same shape, size, matched color, etc.

I need suggestions on how to treat this issue that's come up before proceeding to set it. Have any of you pearl pros ever experienced this and/or have ways of reducing the discoloration? Not sure what to do here, but I definitely will not be continuing until I can figure out what to do to rescue this pearl. Many thanks in advance!

Photo attached: the discoloration is just above the bright light spot. IMG_2193.jpg

Hi. Nice collection. In the 1870's to the 1920's clamming in the US for shell to be made into buttons resulted in Zillions of pearls of all
shapes being found. The junk went to China to make some kind of herbal calcium med. The off round to smooth baroque usually went
to India and lastly the best ones went to Paris and London where they were sold to know jewelers or collectors. Actual traces of specific pearls are very hard to come by. There are a few books and articles about the button industry combined with pearling. My state wisconsin was noted for exceptional quality pearls. Rem: there were only 1 round one in a million mussels. Mississippi River yielded thousands of tons of material and button factories existed from Minneapolis to St Louis and even on some large tributary Rivers such as the Upper Iowa, Rock
Des Moines among others.

That turned out very well. Did you find a substitute pearl? I'm looking for the discoloration you mentioned, not seeing it?

Well, son of a gun. Hurray for that lucky break!

Back