Candled Natural Pearls

Hello, I am new to the forum and to pearls as well. I have purchased some pearls for my wife in the past but never thought to research them before. We just got the pictured necklace and as I have started researching other gems I looked online and found this thread. I was amazed by the amount I've learned just in this one thread! I have however found another hobby... trying to effectively candle pearls and photograph them.
These were sold as 12-14mm "South Sea Pearls" I have no reason to doubt the seller and hope I was able to confirm as well as possible with this technique. Please make suggestions as to better setup etc. The basics are cell phone flashlight, cardboard with holepunch hole, putty, Canon Rebel camera.

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 64
Do I understand you to mean that you were trying to use candling to confirm that the pearls are SSP? If so, candling cannot confirm that, as SSP are not the only large white pearls with a bead nucleus. Freshwater pearls are now being farmed with a bead nucleus also.

Do I understand you to mean that you were trying to use candling to confirm that the pearls are SSP? If so, candling cannot confirm that, as SSP are not the only large white pearls with a bead nucleus. Freshwater pearls are now being farmed with a bead nucleus also.
I was really referring to imaging the bead/halo and was curious if I captured it properly. For some reason I find this thread fascinating and I have been experimenting (very hit and miss) with imaging other gems and my watches as a hobby so I thought I'd try my hand. Any suggestions on photography or further ways to confirm pearl type are very welcome!

Giving this thread a bump! I'm in the process of taking photos of "candling" with a few thin-nacred pearls I have. I want to be able to show the "blinking effect", when you see the MOP bead under the thin nacre. Similar setup as Dave used, but I just sit the pearl on top of a cellphone's LED light.
So far, mixed results...let me share a few photos.
IMG_20210127_120258982_HDR.jpg
So, that is the setup...let me show you some pics taken using a camera and the microscope:
IMG_20210127_114717140.jpg
WIN_20210127_11_56_36_Pro.jpg
So far, very good to expose sub-surface defects, but more difficult to examine the bead's "banding" or "blinking".
Will change lenses on the camera today.

Any suggestions...GREATLY WELCOMED!

Exactly Pattye...our eyes are much better than a camera at detecting this, the trick is to find a way to shoot a photo or video where the camera actually detects this, so we can record it and then we can use it to explain this to students.
What do you think of this one? Do you think it works to explain it?
Candling Blinking.jpg

Blinking really needs to be seen in a video as it's more of a motion thing. But that last photo definitely shows the bands through the nacre.

I know...it is something that is quite "dynamic", but the video just doesn't show more than a blur :(
I don't know if the phone's and camera's software is just not made to shoot this effect. I had similar problems shooting video of the fluorescence effect., which is nicer to see in video.

Thank you! Great idea...will try it tomorrow and I'm also getting a new Macro lens, might help out.
:)

yeah, I am waiting for house to be sold and upgrade my photography stuff, buying a new Eos R5 and a specific lens, lots of money, but it will be worth the price.
I will sell my actual macro lens, very good, but I want to buy something more magnifying, so this one will be sold.

I've got and older EROs I'd let go for 50.00 + shipping...I haven't looked at it lately but I know it works. Or bribe me and just pay the shipping.

pearlman

Thank you PearlMan :)
I got a brand new Canon EOS last february, but had waited to splurge on the Macro lens...will be coming this week, then it's the matter of learning how to take the photos. I think I've been spoiled by the easiness of the smartphone camera system, but no matter what top-o'-the-line phone you own...a real camera's lens cannot be beat. Or so I figure :rolleyes:

what canon do you have, my macro lens is for canon mount, if you are interested, I can let it go as I plan to buy new camera, but different mount.
send pm if you want.
Yes, phones are not cameras, I made picture attempt, using my avatar clasp.
Phone is impresionism, camera is hyperrealism

what canon do you have, my macro lens is for canon mount, if you are interested, I can let it go as I plan to buy new camera, but different mount.
send pm if you want.

I desperately need a canon macro lens!

send pm if you want.

Great way to explain the difference :)
I purchased a low entry level Canon Rebel EOS T100. It works fine for my needs...but it just feels clunky and huge next to my smartphone.

I candled a couple of pearls. Naturals of course!
Interesting details...
Conch Pearl Backlight (1).jpg
This one is one of my small pink conch pearls from the Caribbean's "Queen Conch" or Lobatus gigas (yes, they changed the genus name recently, from Strombus...in 10 more years someone will decide it was best to change it back). ;)

Back