Candled Natural Pearls

Again, very nice views. As mentioned previously, there are difficulties reading the signature when I don't have exemplars to compare.

So with that, I'll draw on how a typical tissue grafted non-beaded nucleus appears. More often than not, the nucleus appears as a scroll, where mantle tissue being cut, then slightly curled along the ends by natural elasticity. Even though these may be crude in appearance, they are often described as quasi-geometrical. After all, they originated from a near perfect square at the time they were sectioned.

I'm clearly seeing a square in two images, but not necessarily in the others. There are secondary contrasts near the darker contrast which appear as lobes radiating in random directions from the nucleus. Being a teardrop pearl, the wide end is proximal, while the pointed end is distal in this instance. The nucleus is subsurface, offset from the centre. Dark patches highlight juvenile (periostracial) growth. In cultured pearls this is almost always situated closely proximal to the heart.

This is a tough one. You've done well to provide additional images. I'm certainly impressed and intrigued, however not swayed from my initial assessment, which is inconclusive.

For those reasons, I'm leaning cultured, but cannot dismiss some properties observed in natural pearls. Properties not uncommon in most pearls.

Sending it to the lab is a difficult decision, but 60/40 culture/natural still merits a trip to the lab, especially if you find it affordable. Otherwise you may be satisfied by the mystery of unknowing, even after the experts have weighed in.

The entire piece itself was likely crafted around the pearl. Assuredly an unique mounting. It's a significant value add, irrespective of the pearl origin.

Either way, it's a remarkable ring and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for the detailed comments! I think it's worth the trip as well. Now we'll see if the "owner" agrees lol.

Greta comments @Lagoon Island Pearls
Great photos @massrog !
I'll have to invite you both to a Beer & Pearl Candling Party...maybe at next year's Pearls by the Bay? ;)

Per Lagoon Island Pearls' suggestion here are several candled images of pearls in the necklace I posted elsewhere in Natural Pearls (Hey guys what are my chances?). the first ones are very small
20230930_195646.jpg
20230930_195957.jpg
20230930_200019.jpg
20230930_195450.jpg
20230930_195525.jpg
20230930_195551.jpg
20230930_195601.jpg
so hard to get good images.

I'm seeing approximately 80:20 uniformity. Naturals would be no greater than 20:80 more like 10:90.

Although some views are not critically focused, there is discernible data. Likewise, pearls adjacent to the target object present with useful data, namely growth fronts. I'm seeing the textbook "scroll" appearance in about half of these views. These are consistent with tissue nucleated FWPs, where sectioned squares of epithelial tissue are rounded in the process. There are two or more "figure 8" or "bow tie" contrasts where the same tissue twists on an opposite axis due to natural elasticity.

These pearls are near to or equal the same age group.

As a piece one must consider it's source and presentation. We must always envision the size of the pool it was selected from. This is very important because the larger a pool, the least compromises are made. How was this strand compromised? We don't know, it's quite random. The only thing that matches is lustre, and not that keenly. Color, shape, size, surface... no. All that changed from my first glance.

It does have some buttery appearance, as opposed to metallic violet/peach which sometimes suggests the middle-east, but not this time. Gulf pearls are far more bedazzling than these. Plus natural gulf pearls have the characteristic nuclear ratios I've mentioned earlier.

For those reasons, I preclude natural origin. To my knowledge and in the absence of provenance, nothing suggests this piece is intended as deliberately misleading, nor elaborate if it were.

And with an apology, sorry to disappoint.

I have a couple more I think are probably naturals based on their provenance/vintage but thought I'd post just for fun. They were originally curated by Rene Lalique and were discovered in a left over cache by his granddaughter. The first three are the pearl on the right and the last three are of the left one. What do you guys think?

20231124_233940.jpg
20231124_233912.jpg
20231124_233857.jpg
20231124_233505.jpg
20231124_233431.jpg
20231124_233725.jpg

Attachments

• 20231124_232745.jpg
    20231124_232745.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 34
Nice views! You've done something I strive to see in candled views... imaged on all 3 axis. Impressive.

This greatly assists the viewer determine the position, orientation and shape of the contrasted materials.

I'm having difficulty envisioning any geometric or structural signatures from round beads. Likewise these are absent of the scroll-like signatures I'd expect from tissue grafted nuclei or keishi.

Pearl #1 presents with a distinct conchiolin patch deep within the structure instead of near to the surface. I see two (perhaps three) subsequent annual growth periods outwards from the radius. The patch is consistent with the geometry of the lobe on the external structure. This suggests even growth, as opposed to formation around a radical shape.

Pearl #2 presents with similar colour and depth, but with greater area and varied densities (hence dissimilar). Again, these contrasts are consistent with the overall shape and structure of the pearl.

As a pair, these have near equal size, shape, colour and lustre. Having four points score the same is exceedingly rare in almost any species. The lustre is deep and bright not metallic, thus most likely marine pearls. With only two specimens to compare, SS pearls would likely be noticeably different colours (perhaps surface quality too). The colour of these are a soft buttery complex to the both the eye and in the candled views.

For those reasons, I suggest these are natural pearls from Pinctada radiata.

Beautiful pearls. Something anyone would be privileged to have ascended to their collections.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

I bought my wife a new strand and have imaged a few of them. I created a gallery for which I'll post a link. I'm posting a few individual pearls one image each. The gallery is two images of each pearl in order L to R top row down. They represent the 2nd-16th from the clasp as shown in group shot. Please let me know what you think! I think that 1st one is pretty obvious but I'm hoping there might be a mix.

Attachments

• 20231221_223826.jpg
    20231221_223826.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231221_200240.jpg
    20231221_200240.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231221_200421.jpg
    20231221_200421.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231221_200519.jpg
    20231221_200519.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231221_200607.jpg
    20231221_200607.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231221_200657.jpg
    20231221_200657.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231221_211715.jpg
    20231221_211715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Again, nice work on your imagery.

I have attached two images you'll find helpful.

First is a typical bead nucleated cultured pearl. Second, a candled view of a shell bead from an American Washboard Mussel.

Your first image suggests a bead of this type is present. In most of the remaining images, I see a pattern consistent with the first attached image.

For the most part, your pearls present with uniformity and high diffusion throughout the geometry. In natural pearls I'd expect the opposite, with lower diffusion, and distinct irregular contrasts. Likewise, there are near surface contrasts from first growth. In natural pearls, these contrasts are more central.

For those reasons, I suggest these are cultured baroque akoya pearls. They have thick, healthy nacre thus a durable and attractive piece.

Attachments

• pearl_signatures.jpg
    pearl_signatures.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 25
  • pearl_striations.jpg
    pearl_striations.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
Again, nice work on your imagery.

I have attached two images you'll find helpful.

First is a typical bead nucleated cultured pearl. Second, a candled view of a shell bead from an American Washboard Mussel.

Your first image suggests a bead of this type is present. In most of the remaining images, I see a pattern consistent with the first attached image.

For the most part, your pearls present with uniformity and high diffusion throughout the geometry. In natural pearls I'd expect the opposite, with lower diffusion, and distinct irregular contrasts. Likewise, there are near surface contrasts from first growth. In natural pearls, these contrasts are more central.

For those reasons, I suggest these are cultured baroque akoya pearls. They have thick, healthy nacre thus a durable and attractive piece.
Good analysis Dave! @Lagoon Island Pearls

Back