Candled Natural Pearls

Dawn,

Pattye, I have never marked pearls for restringing in order. Only for where to drill or which side to drill etc. I generally lay them out on one of my boards and work on making sure they are in order. How do you mark a whole necklace?

That's pretty much the way I would do it also, not mark the whole necklace. I have at times used a small strip of blue masking tape (not an original idea) to remind myself to remove a pearl. In this case, like you, I'd probably just lay out the strand on a design board, cut the thread in several places and remove the pearls to examine them.

Hi All,

I took a break before heading off to bed, that was a couple of hours ago and did some candling. So I thought the photos might be of interest.
These pearls are from a cut necklace I had in a container as cultured pearls but that is not what I am seeing here. But you all know me but I will load first one at the end which I also took a drill hole photo of. I can't see a bead. So I am confused. Love to know what you all think.

Here they are. Quite a few.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.
Dawn?s Pearls - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

Attachments

• Freshadama strand, 7-8 mm, taken to help match with pearl earrings.
    Freshadama strand, 7-8 mm, taken to help match with pearl earrings.
    16.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Freshadama strand, 7-8 mm, taken to help match with pearl earrings.
    Freshadama strand, 7-8 mm, taken to help match with pearl earrings.
    16.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.52 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.52 am.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.53 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.53 am.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.53 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.53 am #2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.54 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.54 am.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am #2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am #3.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.55 am #3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.56 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.56 am.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.56 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.56 am #2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.57 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.57 am.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.57 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 4.57 am #2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.01 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.01 am.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.03 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.03 am.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.03 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.03 am #2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.04 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.04 am.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 46
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.04 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.04 am #2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 50
I have a few more photos of the pearl that I took photos of that drill hole. So some candling of that one and some also showing the drill.

They look interesting to me but not necessarily natural but curious to the general opinion.

What I was trying to do was to take photos of cultured pearls as a comparisons but now I don't know what I have. The first two photos were taken after I gave the drill holes a quick clean. The rest no clean.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.37 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.37 am.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.36 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.36 am.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.35 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.35 am.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.32 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.32 am.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.30 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.30 am.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.29 am #2.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.29 am #2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.29 am.jpg
    Photo on 21-02-2014 at 5.29 am.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 43
There isn't always a conchiolin line. Sometimes it is just a demarkation line with no color. You might see a change in texture. :)

It's not really a big pearl so it does have a very small drill hole. But how does one check the texture of a drill hole. I will have a look at it again in daylight.

The candling photos of pearls just look odd to me and not at all like the ones in the Belle Epoque necklace I took one by one. All of them. What a job that was but when I candle cultured akoyas that is the type of thing I expect to see. So when I get this hodge podge of swirls and interesting features it becomes confusing. I never thought these were natural pearls but I would like to know why they appear as they do.

Any thoughts Blaire?

Dawn - Bodecia
Dawn’s Pearls - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

Post 303, photo 4 looks like it might have a bead. I have seen a lot of x-ray images, which look very different from candling, so I am not any expert on candling, but I find it very interesting. Can you take a regular photo of the strand that was candled in post 302? Yes, they are confusing! ;)

Hello GemGeek and Dave,

I have taken a photo of that necklace. I am sure they are cultured as Dave says (thanks Dave) but will still smash a couple :) and try and work out why they appear as they do when candling.

Dave, are you talking about the one I used my microscope on to take a good photo of the drill hole? or is it the one that we spotted or a couple or three that we spotted. What was more what we were discussing is why the candling photos have swirls and interesting features. Just don't look like the ones from the Belle Epoque necklace which I took individual photos of each a while back if you remember. They all pretty much looked the same and I have come to know that looks is typical of Akoya cultured pearls. That really helps us to understand from what you said about those. The lack of depth in the photos etc.

But the necklace which I am uploading a photo of and which I took all of the last photos of in about 3 or 4 posts look so very different for the most part it is confusing.

Dave, Can you tell us why they look the way they do. I am sure others would also be interested and it would help us no end when candling so we would have a chance of "reading" them ourselves instead of bothering you all the time. As Andrea said a while back she would love to study Candling as would I but as that is not possible our only source is you. You are the candling King and we do want to try and work out what we see in candling photos. But it is not easy especially when getting such confusing results in known cultured pearls.

Dave did you look at the smaller pearls in that bracelet and if so what did you think of them. They looked to me as if they might be naturals although it does seem odd to add naturals to a bracelet with large cultured pearls. Still smaller naturals are easier to get hold of that really good size ones.

GemGeek here is the photo of the necklace. They are just so, so Akoya with a very lovely white gold clasp set with Diamonds and Sapphires. The pearl in the middle is the one I used my microscope to look into the drill hole.

Thanks you all for your help.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 46
Dawn, either way that is a really lovely necklace. Some of the smaller pearls look naturalish, but then again older cultured pearls have that look as well. I'm no expert though, I only own one cultured pearl necklace! Clasp is super cute too.

I agree with Andrea that the necklace is beautiful. Its flaws are its charm. :)

Dave, are you talking about the one I used my microscope on to take a good photo of the drill hole? or is it the one that we spotted or a couple or three that we spotted. What was more what we were discussing is why the candling photos have swirls and interesting features.

I was referring to the images in post 303 in my last post. I wanted a little more time to study the views in 302. For the same reason a radiologist would looks at human x-rays, even after the attending physician gas treated the patient. The images in 302 send mixed messages. While there is some maybe in some, most appear cultured to me.

In candled views, smaller pearls will appear to have thicker nacre than larger pearls, not because it grows any faster, just that the ratio of nacre to bead will be more equalized. As such, the distinctive ring we often see at the margin will appear deeper in the hole.

Dave did you look at the smaller pearls in that bracelet and if so what did you think of them. They looked to me as if they might be naturals although it does seem odd to add naturals to a bracelet with large cultured pearls. Still smaller naturals are easier to get hold of that really good size ones.

Two of the pearls have distinct cultured features not normally seen in naturals. One presents with the concentric rings of washboard mussel nuclei. Barring that, it otherwise appears as the "circle" pearl effect we also see in cultured pearls.

01_candle.jpg

The other with the a square tissue graft. It didn't lay flat against the bead, but turned outward 90 degrees and formed a fire ball tail. The remaining pearls have some natural features, but not enough to rule them apart from cultured.

02_candle.jpg

Dave, Can you tell us why they look the way they do. I am sure others would also be interested and it would help us no end when candling so we would have a chance of "reading" them ourselves instead of bothering you all the time. As Andrea said a while back she would love to study Candling as would I but as that is not possible our only source is you. You are the candling King and we do want to try and work out what we see in candling photos. But it is not easy especially when getting such confusing results in known cultured pearls.

Good questions. For starters, I may be the only person alive on the planet who has handled more natural pearls than cultured ones, so it's somewhat inherent as opposed to an acquired skillset. For the most part, they don't resemble each other at all. When there is doubt, you need to ask yourself two questions. Is this a cultured pearl that's scruffy enough to appear natural? Or, is this a natural pearl fine enough to appear cultured? Before one can even begin to address this, think of the math. Chances are it's the former bay a ratio of 10000:1. Rare the latter. This is why there are a lot of elaborate fakes out there. IMHO, even a significant number of lab certified natural pearls are indeed cultured pearls that slipped through the cracks of their criteria.

Once a pearl comes for analysis the first thing I look for is the initiating event. In naturals, these events will always be at the heart of the nucleus. Not necessarily the absolute middle and often somewhat eccentric, but rarely, if ever near the surface. As a pearl grows, it does not begin by laying up terraced aragonite. That structure only occurs once the ideal foundations are built.

Like the rings of a tree, biomineralization has an order. In most mollusks it's periostracial ---> prismatic ----> nacreous. The periostracum is mostly conchiolin while prismatic layers have very little protein. Protein then again becomes more enriched in terraced aragonite (nacre) and the crystals are highly organized. It's seasonally regulated. Shells grow rapidly in summer months and not so much in winter. In fact, shells and/or pearls can even be reabsorbed into the mantle tissues, especially during prolonged periods of lower salinity. That's a whole other realm I'll speak to in the future... ocean acidification. Shells are a terrific indicator of this phenomena.

It's these on again, off again processes that give us the impression of the unique coloration and woven or latticed patterns observed in sea shells.

These contrasts can be read by candling. No just by eye sight, though. Microscopy can differentiate these margins at a molecular level. I'm still waiting on electron microscopy work to come back from Ana at the University of Granada lab, where I've submitted amazing samples of Pododesmus macrochisma, where the difference in these margins are acute. It will be easier to explain when we see those views.

Because pearls have concentric growth, successive years will encase the previous years. There is no escaping this fact. Initiating events almost always appear as darker contrasts in candled views in nearly every case. If these events appear outside of the identified axial point, it's a cultured pearl. I use the words almost and nearly, because some pearls are not singularly initiated. On occasion, a pearl can pop from the sac and become lodged elsewhere in the animal and thus become a pearl in a pearl.

Owing to the fact most purported naturals are indeed inferior grade cultured pearls, we must preclude those features entirely before we can even begin to support natural origin.

I am seeing way too many of these steps skipped. We cannot put the cart before the horse, lest our objectivity goes out the window.

For our purposes in this thread, the simplest observation is we need to see clear layers on top of shadowed layers, not shaded layers on top of clear layers. A bead will usually appear as translucent and featureless, unless it's a washboard mussel. In which case, seasonal growth features appear as inscribed lines within a circle. Otherwise the patches we see on most of these pearls --cap the bead-- near the surface.

Last edited:
Hi Dave and All,

I was referring to the images in post 303 in my last post. I wanted a little more time to study the views in 302. For the same reason a radiologist would looks at human x-rays, even after the attending physician gas treated the patient. The images in 302 send mixed messages. While there is some maybe in some, most appear cultured to me.

I agree Dave maybe some are natural but would be predominately cultured. I might separate and check each pearl when I have time.

Good questions. For starters, I may be the only person alive on the planet who has handled more natural pearls than cultured ones, so it's somewhat inherent as opposed to an acquired skillset.

I think we all agree with you on that Dave. You are the go to man. No one else knows candling like you.

I have been feeling more and more confident and went through the pearls I had put away in specimen boxes to check and was able to just put most to one side as cultured without doubt. A few I wanted to candle again and only the ones I had already been totally sure on were what I expected and wanted to see. It is a great feeling to be able to discard in a container those ones I know for sure are cultured.

For our purposes in this thread, the simplest observation is we need to see clear layers on top of shadowed layers, not shaded layers on top of clear layers. A bead will usually appear as translucent and featureless, unless it's a washboard mussel. In which case, seasonal growth features appear as inscribed lines within a circle. Otherwise the patches we see on most of these pearls --cap the bead-- near the surface.

Thank you for the details to help us all. I want to re-read this post of yours again and again so it sinks deep into my brain.

Over the last week when candling I found that results were far better if I supported the pearl just above the hole in the cardboard. It makes a load of difference and enabled me to see deeper into the pearl. I am trying to perfect it and just did some more candling after listing on eBay. That is why I am so late in answering your post. I keep refining my candling techniques all the time and am getting much better results. And they are so much better I am thrilled. Just too tired at the moment to think straight anymore.

I will

Got to get to bed.

Thanks so much again Dave and thank you GemGeek.

Dawn - Bodecia
Dawn’s Pearls - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

Dawn, you're right -- don't try to internalize the information all at once. A good night's sleep will help. :)

I do like such pictures a great deal. I recently bought two pearls that the candling pictures were persuasive in my purchase- though I will probably never see them like that again.

Thanks for linking this post! I hadn't seen this post before and it's full of great info! Thank you!

Would this photo (#6 of post42image.jpg) be the one that shows deep-layer iridescence? In between the prongs?

It has some natural features, but more supporting a tissue graft. You'll notice a dark line between the bright and shaded contrast at the lower left and upper right. That's first growth and much too close to the outer surface.

The bottom has only slight growth after the nucleus and dark patches near the surface only also.

Picture in your mind, a balloon within a balloon. It's most likely cultured.

Back