Found a natural pearl in a can of smoked oysters!!!

Lucky

Hello all,

I just opened a can of oysters, i saw a little round thing hanging on one oyster. Pulled the little round thing off, shined it up and see that it is a pearl. Is this rare to find? Is this worth anything? It seems fairly round, hard and shiny. I added the picture, if anyone has any insight at all into this please let me know.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 58
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 55
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 62
A natural pearl in a CAN of oysters? Edible oysters produce pearls that aren't composed of nacre, so they aren't typically very valuable. But that sort of find is something I've never heard of. That would be a very rare find.

Yeah, I just thought I would post on here as I have never heard of anyone finding a peal in a CAN of smoked oysters before either. I don't know what nacre is, but am not too worried about the value as I am considering it a good luck charm:) Thank you:)

I am not too worried about value, it'll make for a great lucky charm!

Just bit into a pearl in my smoked oyster tin...

Just bit into a pearl in my smoked oyster tin...

So, this just happened to me. It's a peanut-shaped white pearl, came out of a can of trader joe's oysters. Not sure what to think... any ideas?

A natural pearl in a CAN of oysters? Edible oysters produce pearls that aren't composed of nacre, so they aren't typically very valuable. But that sort of find is something I've never heard of. That would be a very rare find.

One thing to take note of: any "pearl" that you find in a can/tin, well...this preservation technique involves heat, which will damage any pearl. So, even if you find one it will have been "cooked" and these crack or are damaged beyond hope!

Last edited:
Totally! It is a little bit shiny, but not as much as pearls I have in jewelry. I think I'll try to make some jewelry out of it, since it's an interesting peanut shape!

Hello all,

I just opened a can of oysters, i saw a little round thing hanging on one oyster. Pulled the little round thing off, shined it up and see that it is a pearl. Is this rare to find? Is this worth anything? It seems fairly round, hard and shiny. I added the picture, if anyone has any insight at all into this please let me know.
Same thing happened to me when I was in the Army, way back in 1992. I found a pearl in my oyster tin while taking a break during training exercises. This was out in the field at Ft. Hood, TX. We didn't have cell phones and I wasn't carrying a camera. I did have witnesses as we were all standing with each other gabbing. We were all stunned. I couldn't even believe it. I gave it away to Pvt. Hartman, a fellow soldier in my section. It was a lucky find, but it never brought me any special luck. Just a crazy story to tell. I probably should have kept it!

Back