The "Pearl of Datu" from palawan philippines

janchelem

I'm new here, i'm a filipino from Palawan...i have this natural pearl weighing 120 grams, 2"x1.5" in size. Can somebody help me to find a buyer for this and how much it will be? Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 39
That is a huge pearl.

We need a lot more information.

What species is this? Do you have photos in the shell? Do you have the shell?

How and when was it harvested?

Thanks Dave

Found in an island of Palawan Philippines a home for Giant Clam (tridacna gigas), same area where the Pearl of Allah came from.

Found a year ago...brought to us(family) by a local fisherman. He is a fisherman not a pearl diver, just a lucky one.

Unfortunately such giant clam are common in our place...and shells were put beside after taking the "food" in it.

I suspected Tridacna gigas and noticed the resemblance to the Pearl of Allah.

Pearls like this have a different value than other natural pearls selected for their gem quality.

Much of it's value is as a unique collectible for displayed viewing, as opposed to fashioned into something.

Someone (or institiution) may be interested in aquiring it, but they would likely expect to inspect it intensively. It would certainly be worth your while to have it certified, to fetch the best price.

I could never appraise a natural pearl from a photograph alone, but would like to see more angles nonetheless, on a white background.

There are some pretty tridacna pearls. That is not one of them.

We have a complete reference to the story of the pearl of Allah on this forum, which pearl had hoaxy and fraudulent elements from the moment the pearl was found, to how it left Palawan to the over-inflated value, not one penny of which was ever seen, because no one would pay any cash for the actual pearl.

Big, ugly, tridacna pearls may have some value for collectors, but will never be very interesting to people for jewelry purposes. I'd say that pearl could be worth what someone would pay for a collection- $20- $200. It has no intrinsic value. The amounts touted for the Pearl of Allah are all hype- even the supposed 200k paid for it by Hoffman was nothing but an unpaid promise. From that original unpaid amount, the price was hyped, by appraisers who never saw the actual pearl, only earlier appraisals, up to $67,000,00 for courtroom purposes- about 5 years ago. Another, equally large pearl has been reported, but it has not yet seen any real cash, yet, either.

This pearl will not make your fortune, nor anyone else's. It is time to realize what a giant fraud was perpetrated with the Pearl of Allah. It was hyped by a carny, then a couple more carneys took over the hype, but no one has ever seen any cash from the Pearl of Allah and I doubt anyone ever will.

It is obviously a tridacna pearl and can be certified by any malacologist as authentic. it is really not a GIA kind of thing and spending that money will not help its sales value, IMO

Last edited:
There are some pretty tridacna pearls. That is not one of them.
Lol - classic.

Caitlin is right though, obviously its not suited for jewelry but more fitting for a collector of oddities. Its going to be tough to attach a value as there isn't really a market for these pearls, so whatever price you can get for it is going market rate. I'd keep it if was me, IMO.

I agree with Caitlin on the Pearl of Allah, though I disagree that it's a big ugly pearl. I think it's a wonderful find and a rarity of nature.

I would just keep it. I know if I found it, that's what I do.

If I had to sell it (as may be the instructions of the fisherman), I'd hold out for four figures.

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As for me, somebody would have to pay me for adding this to my collection. But then, I am not a collector, I love big empty spaces.

That's what you will be doing is holding out for a long time. It is a rare gift from nature for which there is little demand. That means who ever sells it has to create the demand. There are several Tridacna shells with their pearls selling in the 3 figures. Just search for tridacna on ebay to see the shells, pearls and beads made from the shells.

These two ebay listed pearls are from the Augustus Collection. One of them is pretty. (He is listing for a third party) I put them both on watch, and the ones I have seen listed before (not from Augustus) never sold at their 4 figure rates. I wish you the best, but do not suffer any delusions that that pearl will ever buy anyone a house or a car. Maybe a bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-R...252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588c3dfb0c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURAL-Wil...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09d34adf

There are quite a number of natural clam pearls on the market right now, so they are hard to move. I was able to move one with Jeremy Norris (the pearl from Fiji) because it has an interesting shape and the carat weight was exactly 88 (which is perfect for Asia), but even that pearl took quite a long time to move.

But that being said, the specimen in the photo is large - but not shapely or very useful for jewelry. A pearl that weighs 120 grams would come out to 500 carats. If someone offered $5 per carat for it, that would be a really good deal for the seller. In today's market, however, $3 to $4 per carat would be more realistic, especially as it almost certainly has to be purchased for resale. Either way, if a buyer was found, the seller would be looking at $1500 to $2500 for the pearl.

Last edited:
natural pearl

natural pearl

here is another photos

Attachments

• IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 45
Thank you for the great photos!

If anyone Googles tridacna clam pearls, these should show up. Meanwhile, this one is interesting to know about.

It is an interesting size. Paperweight, or the right size to hold in the hand. It has a spiral on the side. Probably showing how it grew.

It is a very good idea to start documenting it as you are here. Where and when was it found? Who owns it? Who is the broker. Who should be contacted

Perhaps someone can buy it for a private collection. Or to donate to a museum.

The most interesting thing about the Pearl of Allah is its honest, factual provenance or history of what happened since it was found off Palawan. Every facet of which history has been twisted and lied about by the specific characters who removed it from Palawan through to the present owners. No one has even authenticated it in person since the 60's or so.

natural pearl

natural pearl

I am the one keeping it, a fisherman approached me if i can help him about this pearl. He is a fisherman not a pearl diver,just a lucky one. Found in Bataraza southern part of Palawan, believe it same area where the Pearl of Allah came. Last year around middle of march, a daily routine gave the fisherman such a wonderful gift.

He wants to keep it, but life is so unfair. He needs money for his family.

I was amazed of its size, yes we know that there is Pearl of Allah, but handling such a huge pearl, can't believe it. I'm from Palawan but knows nothing about pearl, shame on me!

Can contact me Through email at crystal_dyoker@yahoo.com .But i don't have any idea about the price of it. So please help me.

You're right Caitlin about the lies about the Pearl of Allah. From the very start,from 'whom' Mr. Cobb took it and how...

Thanks

Ahem. There is a good book in that story- if it were told truthfully.

Meanwhile. It is obvious that this tridacna pearl is human in scale and hopefully, we will be able to play a part in letting it be known. Does it have a name? Maybe the family name of the fisherman could be used? Meanwhile, I will call it Pet Pearl. It is kind of like a tiny pet you can put in your pocket.

It's own name will go far to giving this little guy an Identity. The ________ Pearl, found off Palawan in 19----(?) by _______. Photo of finder would be good, esp of him holding the pearl. I am beginning to see this little fellow's personality.

It is a rather friendly pearl-being, isn't it?

How about some artsy photos of it out visiting a pretty seashell? Or with the ocean in the background enjoying the view? Like the little gnome on the travel company ads? Or Octavia.

Search for Octavia on this site and you will get some funny threads. Octavia is an oyster puppet with a huge pearl in her mouth. She has been the subject of several photography sessions all over the world, traveling with friends. She likes to be seen with movers and shakers. I think your little pal may benefit from developing his/her personality, by being out and seen at all the local hotspots, walking the red carpet and other publicity garnering activities. I am jesting, but perhaps you get my jist? Help this unnamed orb find a name, and fame, if not fortune. It's better than a pet rock, for sure!

Post some pictures of the pet pearl's full social schedule this weekend! If you keep developing its fame here, someone will notice it and want to take it home as a special pet pearl.

Seriously, I do want to encourage you to do the best you can for the fisherman's family!

Help this unnamed orb find a name, and fame, if not fortune. It's better than a pet rock, for sure!

How about "Einstein"? (am I the only one who thinks it looks like a brain? or part of the brain, the corpus callosum.....)

Although I think "Pet Pearl" is cute too. It IS cute, isn't it? I want her! (yes, I have decided it is a SHE!) lol

- Jodie -

No, you are not the only one. It reminded me of a brain, too. That is why it kind of grosses me out. I have childhood memories of brains cooking slowly in a pot of broiling water.

Many tridacna pearls look like brains. So what are they GEEK Pearl pets?

I think this pet pearl look a bit like cauliflower too, but not as many jokes come to mind as for a brainy pearl. Maybe if she had some glasses?

I think this pet pearl look a bit like cauliflower too?
Away only a few days and this thread got away from me. As a cauliflower lover, it's approaching lunchtime, my stomach is grumbling?and I was about to say the same thing.

Caitlin also mentioned that there are pretty Tridacna pearls. I christened them Kima at the time of acquiring a number of such examples, in THIS THREAD.

For me Kima are among the most miraculous of pearls, coming as they apparently do from a shell known purely for its bulk and not its refinement.

To quote from that post, Tridacna "is more reminiscent of a treatment for teenage skin disorder."

And more appropriate for Pearl of Allah and its ilk.

Back