Natural pearls?

Mehta

I have a necklace that I purchased in India 19 years ago and have no idea what it might be worth if I try to sell it. Does anyone have a suggested price I should ask for? There are 22 pearls in it. DSC00569.jpgDSC00570.jpg

It's difficult to determine the origin of pearls from a couple of photos, but at first glance these appear to be natural Bahraini spinners. Being that age, set in white gold (or platinum) in the presence of 10 diamond makes this a premium piece.

The value of natural pearls is in the eye of the beholder, but I would strongly suggest these be examined by a gem lab.

There are a few experts here in Persian Gulf naturals and hopefully will weigh in on this piece.

It's difficult to determine the origin of pearls from a couple of photos, but at first glance these appear to be natural Bahraini spinners. Being that age, set in white gold (or platinum) in the presence of 10 diamond makes this a premium piece.

The value of natural pearls is in the eye of the beholder, but I would strongly suggest these be examined by a gem lab.

There are a few experts here in Persian Gulf naturals and hopefully will weigh in on this piece.

Hi,

I recall Mr. Ali Safar, Chief of the Bahrain Gem Lab, giving a speech at the World Pearl Forum in which he said the largest natural Bahraini pearl his lab had ever certified was 12mm. Those look fairly large. How many mm for the biggest?

Regards,
Tom

Please provide more info. Like what metal that is, who made it, or what kind of store it came from. Tell us more about the pearls too.

It is very pretty.

It is hard to tell from the two photos. there are two main options, with myriad variants in between
they could be natural pearls of great size, set in white gold or platinum wth top quality diamonds = huge value
or they could be freshwaters in silver with zircons = still value but nothing like as much
It is a matter of chemistry to check the metal and most jewellers would be able to tell you what the sparkly stones are. The pearls can be tricky They could be the most valuable part of the whole or the least
(although with the price of gold etc these days even that isn't so sure)
I know that this doesn't advance your enquiry much - sorry.
It is an impressive piece of jewellery. Red carpet style?

I bought them in a shop I think in Delhi, after a tour the tour guide has tourists go through markets and carpet sellers. They were pricey, but rupees to dollars meant I still got a good deal at the time. Any paperwork I had is lost after all these years and moves. The pearls are 8-9 mm measured with a caliper. I will take them to a jeweler for appraisal, with all of your contributions. I appreciate everyone's input and complements, and I will post what I find out.

I have a necklace that I purchased in India 19 years ago and have no idea what it might be worth if I try to sell it

This would be a good starting point, if you don't mind saying how much you paid for them we could quickly rule out if they are Natural pearls or not. My gut feeling is they are too uniform in color, size and shape to be natural pearls(unless you paid A LOT), so I'm thinking freshwater pearls. I'm not an expert in natural pearls though so don't quote me, I could easily be wrong.

Haiiii...

Does anyone know's about Roxi Pearls? Turbo marmoratus pearl? hyotissa hyotis? Triton Pearls? Cypraea tigris pearls?
i have search at the google n wikipedia, but just found about the Shell of that natural pearls.
is the species Shell name like roxi, turbo marmoratus, hyotissa hyiotis, triton and cypraea tigris be found a natural pearl inside?

thx :)
Viby

The Turbo marmoratus has been known to produce some natural pearls that tend to be greenish yellow, of course related to the color of the shell. I don't believe pearls are typically found in the Cyprea tigris or any of the other shells. I could be wrong about the Hyotissa hyotis, but I've never heard of a pearl from this shell.

I don't believe pearls are typically found in the Cyprea tigris?
Well qualified.

I did happen to receive a small (0,4ct) pearl attributed to Cypraea Tigris not long ago. Color seems correct, as good a guess as any even if you don't believe the diver. The more amazing consideration is that the pearl was even noticed, being so tiny.

Attachments

• Post.jpg
    Post.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 54
  • cypraea-tigris1.jpg
    cypraea-tigris1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I agree that any mollusk has the potential to create a pearl, nacreous or not. But I've not read about a pearl in any of the others shells (until the two previous posts) in Kunz or Strack, just the Turbo marmoratus.

That is one tiny pearl, Steve.

i have read from some book, that Pina Nobilis is soooo fragile. if we put the pina nobilis to long at the wardrobe or somewhere else, pina nobilis will be broken by they self. so, some of people said that hard to market/sell the pina nobilis because that reason.
Is that true?? please advise me, because i just bought pina nobilis from my friend. i'm affraid i was wrong.

thank's
Viby

Yes, it is very fragile. The pearls can either be nacreous, non-nacreous, or a combination of both within a single pearl. The pearls that are non-nacreous or have parts that are will dry and crack, especially if you try to drill them. The protein tends to crumble.

Hi manojkumar128254

- And welcome to the forum :)

I see you are very active, and we would like to get to know you. It would be great if, in a separate thread, you would introduce yourself, write about your interest in pearls (professional or just a pearl lover), where in the world you live, perhaps some special interest area around pearls - in short, tell us your story :)

- Karin

The necklace does remind me of button freshwater pearls...but I'm not a natural pearl expert! Please post the results after you see a jeweller, I'd be very interested to know the outcome.

Back