Natural Pearls from the Gulf of California-Mexico

The shell is a Veneridae, Periglypta multicostata

The shell is a Veneridae, Periglypta multicostata

The "Chocolate Clam" (or "Almeja Chocolata") is Megapitaria squalida. Very different animal...my guess is actually more towards a species of Chione or even Chionopsis gnidia... but since I don't have my book I can't remember certain traits (number of "ribs" & hinge teeth...technicalities). But here is a bigger shell, maybe someone can help with the id.

This shell is Periglypta multicostata, almeja reina or, in English, Many-rigged venus.

It has been some time gone by, I hope Douglas has some new natural treasures to share soon.

They are all gorgeous. I am drooling. What a wonderful things pearls are. You are lucky just to have them for a while.

Wow! Traveling back in time to this old thread I started some years ago :)
An excellent friend of mine sent me a couple of photos and video of a SPECTACULAR drop shaped pearl he just purchased from a diver.
Not only is this pearl of a GORGEOUS shape (one of those very rare elongated drops), great luster and almost PERFECT in every way!
It was obtained from a huge Mexican Black Lip Oyster (Pinctada mazatlanica) and the pearl weighs just 27 carats!!!! This is CRAZY!
New Peregrina Pinctada mazatlanica Nov 2020 27 cts.jpeg
Enjoy!

Oh my goodness Douglas !

That is amazing and gorgeous pearl. The color and luster are spectacular. Truly a gem of the sea....or should I say... Sea of Cortez!

That is a WOW!

To share my cortez naturals, that I got from Druzy Design. Yes, they are tiny! The wire wrapping was done by Iris, at Antiqua (10922 W Pico Blvd, right near PP!):
cortez_naturals.jpg

Oh my goodness Douglas !

That is amazing and gorgeous pearl. The color and luster are spectacular. Truly a gem of the sea....or should I say... Sea of Cortez!

It is! I think this will be the BEST pearls I will get to see in this Lifetime (of this particular variety of pearl oyster). It is fit for a King or Queen :cool:

I am off to see a fisherman today...he has another natural pearl to show me :)
Will share soon!

Less spectacular but still a nice find today :)
A fisherman brought me a pearl for inspection...perfectly ROUND white pearl from the "Mexican Black Lip Pearl oyster" (Pinctada mazatlanica), with good enough specs...but nothing like that AMAZING drop shaped one I posted before...
Measures 8.7 mm and weighs in at 4.4 carats...
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210105_105702113_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	395859Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210105_105702113_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	395859Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210105_105702113_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	395859

Last edited:
That’s such a pretty pearl. When I think about it it must have taken years to get a matched strand. I am grateful that we have cultured pearls today in so many varieties and colors so that I can play with them.

Back