Natural Pearls from the Gulf of California-Mexico

And back with some new photos... another "black pearl" from Pinctada mazatlanica. As you can see from the photo, it is a light gray with a beautiful green sheen and violet. It could pass as a Rainbow-Lipped Pearl (Pteria sterna), but we saw it coming from a black-lip and -of course- it does not display the typical pink-red UV fluorescence.

The next one is a natural pearl cut in half...lovely is it not? The inner structure tells you so much about the life of the oyster. This one was an 8.5 mm near round pearl. If you look at the inner part you can see the pearl was not round -more kidney shaped- and the additional coatings started to "round-out" its shape...next you see the pearl and its host oyster...

Attachments

• Natural Pearl Pinctada mazatlanica Edit [640x480].jpg
    Natural Pearl Pinctada mazatlanica Edit [640x480].jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Perla Natural a la Mitad - Mejor Foto [640x480].jpg
    Perla Natural a la Mitad - Mejor Foto [640x480].jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Pteria con Perla Natural (1) [640x480].jpg
    Pteria con Perla Natural (1) [640x480].jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 59
And back with some new photos...

Good luck, I say, to whoever wants to hunt for keshi inside cultured pearls. If these are the false negatives, I'll burn them for you...

LOL!

[never-mind my manners for a few hours; just this once...]

Douglas, keep them coming.

...lovely is it not?..

Lovely indeed.

Identifying and seggregating naturals in pre-graft specimens is an art itself, and an important step. There have been too many myths about naturals and too many claims about keshis. Thank you for your clarity.

Palpitation?, Visual?, Both?

Either way, these beauties are worth the extra effort, Douglas.

In post-graft specimens, we walk a finer line. You mentioned the importance of pearl sac inspection. Is there is a distinction?

In my experiments, I've been able to distinctly identify naturals from cultures in several ways. Size, nuclei, age and location within the tissues are indications.

Lovely indeed.

Identifying and segregating naturals in pre-graft specimens is an art itself, and an important step. There have been too many myths about naturals and too many claims about keshis. Thank you for your clarity.

Palpitation?, Visual?, Both?

Either way, these beauties are worth the extra effort, Douglas.

In post-graft specimens, we walk a finer line. You mentioned the importance of pearl sac inspection. Is there is a distinction?

In my experiments, I've been able to distinctly identify naturals from cultures in several ways. Size, nuclei, age and location within the tissues are indications.

You are right about all of the above! It is an "Arcane Art Form" that can be called upon by those that can withstand the time and effort it takes first with the pre-visual (examining the outside of the MOP), then opening them up for visual examination, thirdly the palpation and if you need an extra pointer: X rays.

You CAN identify natural pearls easily... the pearl culture sac is in a distinctive portion of the oyster's inner anatomy (gonad) whereas we only consider the mantle -never the oyster's "bodily anatomy"- as the source of natural pearls. We know that we could get naturals out of the body as well, but for us the "perfect pearls" are found in the mantle.

Sometimes they are well worth the time & effort spent...sometimes they are not and this will all depend on the oysters and the environment.

Wow Douglas,

As always, nothing but amazingly gorgeous knock outs from you! Some day, a trip to your showroom will surely be in order. Thank you so much for sharing some of the prettiest gems of your harvest! :D

Did you know that Cortez Pearls has a web store? You can get some without going down there, though a visit down there is super fine. The link, the link, where is it?

Hiya Caitlin-

Oh yes, I know about the store- and a few other vendors that have done some amazing work with Doug's pearls- but I'd still prefer to visit the actual farm... much more educational, not to mention getting a chance to hold them and drool on those beauties in person! I'm sure you know how I feel, being a bit of a raven yourself lol :D

Another natural pearl from the Gulf of California. This one is from a Clam we usually call "Almeja Ro?osa" or "Rough Clam" (family Veneridae). Unfortunately I don't have the species' scientific name (I need my long lost book on sub-tidal invertebrates).
Anyway, the pearl weighs 2.1 grams and measures 10.3 x 12.5 mm, with an oval-drop shape. Does not display any "flame" structure, but more of the "jelly-bean" attributes of "Conch Pearls". Still it is a large pearl and its host shell displays the site where the clam suffered some traumatic event that led to the birth of this very rare pearl.

Hope you like the photos...

Attachments

• Collage-Perla-Nat-Almeja-Re.jpg
    Collage-Perla-Nat-Almeja-Re.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 55
Another natural pearl from the Gulf of California. This one is from a Clam we usually call "Almeja Ro?osa" or "Rough Clam" (family Veneridae). Unfortunately I don't have the species' scientific name (I need my long lost book on sub-tidal invertebrates).
Anyway, the pearl weighs 2.1 grams and measures 10.3 x 12.5 mm, with an oval-drop shape. Does not display any "flame" structure, but more of the "jelly-bean" attributes of "Conch Pearls". Still it is a large pearl and its host shell displays the site where the clam suffered some traumatic event that led to the birth of this very rare pearl.

Hope you like the photos...
Found it: Chione californiensis. This document refers to Bah?a Magdalena habitat.

It certainly is an impressive find, especially with shell. A fine pearl by any standards.

Another (no doubt delicious) flavor for the jelly bean jar!

Last edited:
The "Chocolate Clam" (or "Almeja Chocolata") is Megapitaria squalida. Very different animal...my guess is actually more towards a species of Chione or even Chionopsis gnidia... but since I don't have my book I can't remember certain traits (number of "ribs" & hinge teeth...technicalities). But here is a bigger shell, maybe someone can help with the id.

Megapitaria would make nice "cocoa" colored pearls...just kidding...the inner shell is pure white. Check out the looks of the animal here. It is one of the tastiest inhabitants of the Sea of Cortez...but we have yet to find a pearl in one.

Attachments

• Clam Pearl - Almeja Reina 001 [640x480].jpg
    Clam Pearl - Almeja Reina 001 [640x480].jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 69
Douglas?we 'crossed in the mail.' Chione it is, note my correction that was being made as you posted. The prior document included some reference to 'almeja ro?osa' (seems like habitats are practically identical) thus popped up in my search.

We sure did Steve! I am now narrowing the species... can't be Chione californica because the largest size reported for this species is of 68x65x38 mm and this shell is twice that size...but there are just so many Chione species here...might just leave it at Chione humoungous

Here is another photo of the pearl:

Attachments

• Clam Pearl - Almeja Reina 012 [800x600].jpg
    Clam Pearl - Almeja Reina 012 [800x600].jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 64
Iron-clad proof that Google can only get you so far without setting feet on the ground!

(Or fins in the water…)

Last edited:
Who knew that?! I love these posts. They expand my pearl education far beyond anything I dreamed of when I first got here! Such a valuable record.....

New Pearls!!! Thsi morning I had a Pen Shell Fisherman here, with his treasure cove of natural black-pen-shell pearls from the "Callo Botij?n" or Atrina maura.

We don't buy pearls but fishermen believe we do so they just bring the pearls in...we would not really promote or support a pearl fishery (not kosher) in the Gulf of California. Anyway, this small stash consisted of some very nacreous, solid, very jet-black pen shell pearls in sizes between 3 to 5 mm (and some very tiny ones, of course) and some calcitic and protein based ones as well... hope you like them!

Atrina maura natural pearls 004 [640x480].jpgAtrina maura natural pearls 006 [640x480].jpgAtrina maura natural pearls 005 [640x480].jpgAtrina maura natural pearls 002 [640x480].jpg

My pleasure Dave! I love sharing with you all...we're "Family"!!! :)

Those pearls are a treat to behold! I especially like the caramel and white pearl. Definitely very nacreous black pearls. Mmmmm.... :)

Back