Abalone Pearl Culturing in British Columbia

KAC

I stumbled across a neat little website about a university professor that started a small abalone pearl culturing project on the west coast of BC:

http://www.sfu.ca/~fankbone/abpearl/index.html

I have invited Dr. Fankbone to come and share his thoughts on the forum(fingers crossed).

Since I am originally from the same area I found it very interesting, I may try and do a tour of his operation next time I am in the area - I'll keep ya posted.

Haliotis pearl farm

Haliotis pearl farm

Now that's something to look forward to.

Well I contacted Dr. Fankbone and it seems he's been retired for about 10 years and the farm as been shut down since then also. Too bad I was looking forward to making a visit.

There is such a special place in my heart for the beauty of abalone shells...

I am sorry to hear Dr Fankbone is retired, but maybe he can give us some good info anyway.

Last edited:
well don't forget to post those pictures here Zeidi, I'd love to see them too!

As for Dr. Fankbone he doesn't have any real projects on the go, but he is looking to license his process to a few operations in and around California - nothing concrete yet I don't think.

Dr. Fankbone must be getting his e-mail packed with such inquiries! Including mine... a couple of days ago... Too bad I didn't see this thread first.

Does anyone have abalone mabe pearls in their collection? How do they stand wear? Anyone knows producers other than Erys? I am now waiting to hear from one.

Thanks! :)

www.abpearls.com

www.abpearls.com

Does anyone have abalone mabe pearls in their collection? How do they stand wear? Anyone knows producers other than Erys? I am now waiting to hear from one.

Thanks!

Yes.

www.abpearls.com

Northern California Red Abalone Cultured Mabe Pearls produced by US Abalone in Davenport, California.

Pearls are sold in the shell, rough cuts (1" squares"), and finished pearls ready for mounting.

Colors are blue, green and pink.

Cuts are 11.5 mm in size, but other sizes are available on request.

Bob Heald, Sales - Pacific Abalone Pearls.

sales@abpearls.com

Back