Atlantic scallop pearls

P

pierrettedE

hello all,

I have a question about 20 odd scallop pearls I own. They have all been given to me by various scallop fishermen that come in the studio and just don't know what to do with them. I've researched a bit and seem to find the Pacific Lion's Claw pearls a lot, but none that look like ours here in Nova Scotia, Canada.

The ones I have and have seen all have the similar platelet type surface with a little "fire". They are usually quite round and range from 3mm to 6-7mm. However, they are always very creamy white, almost transparent (like fish scales). I'll post a picture when I can get a decent one.

Does anyone have more history/ information about these?

Pierrette d'Entremont

thanks,

I actually emailed him last week but haven't had a reply yet. I'll wait a bit and email again. My pearls are very white, almost transparent in color, but do show that 'fiery' platelet type structure on the surfaces.

P.S. got your video today. I'll watch it (popcorn in hand !?!) this evening!

Pierrette

I had reading the articles, about scallop pearl, and , correct me if I am wrong, until yet there are no means of cultivated this kind of concretions ("pearls").

Ricardo

hello,

Here are a couple of pictures of some of the Atlantic scallop pearls (Placopecten magellanicus). We've been accumalating a few natural ones in the past years.

There are a few culture projects (food) going on here in Nova Scotia. Suspension systems mostly. Not sure about hatcheries yet. I know they collect spat around Quebec/Gaspe areas. We have a wavering fishery industry and people are searching for alternatives.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what kind of pearls we could culture...

I kind of like them. They have a sort a patchwork glow that's unique.

Pierrette d'Entremont

Attachments

• scallop_pearls4.jpg
    scallop_pearls4.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 48
  • scalloppearls_pierrette3.jpg
    scalloppearls_pierrette3.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 46
Back