Cortez Pearls - 2007 Harvest

Just adding my CONGRATULATIONS!!, Douglas!! See you in Feb!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Last edited by a moderator:
Slraep said:
Aye Caramba, Douglas!! It hurts just to look at the thing. What a wonderful pearl. Something Tahitian with similarly intense overtones in that approx. size will set you back at least 1500 USD here(wholesale). The fish eye is a bargain at 650 USD. Just try and find some Sea of Cortez pearls here and see where it gets you---nowhere. But of course, you know that.
Slraep
Yes indeed, I agree the price is not high...but please remember we are producers not retailers. We do have a Retail Store...but these fine specimens either go to the hands of our associates or our finest customers...they get the first pickings.

But now for more pearl photos...took a cup-full of pearls, separated them according to -more or less- similar coloration and here are the results.

Attachments

• Darks [%P].JPG
    Darks [%P].JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Drops.JPG
    Drops.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Greens.JPG
    Greens.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Multi [%P].JPG
    Multi [%P].JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 34
  • MultiColor.JPG
    MultiColor.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 25
And the last batch of photos...still need to take photos of the Keshi pearls.

Mind you all...the pearls still need their cleanup. Some still have bits of protein on their surface, hence they are not as lustrous as they will once properly washed and cleaned.

The olive-green pearls depicted on this photo seem "red" or "coppery-cocoa" colored inside my office...the color variation is tremendous under diverse light conditions.

Attachments

• Light [%P].JPG
    Light [%P].JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Olive-Gold.JPG
    Olive-Gold.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 31
just beautiful colors Douglas - you must be proud.

These pearls are beautiful! Would love to see them in person.

It must has been a lot of hard work to get to this point. You are doing something truly new and special!

Congratulations and best wishes for more good harvest. :)

Regards,
pernula

Congratulations Douglas !
You have shown us a magnificent product of nature and man.

Thank you,
Nora

Y'all have got to excuse me, but now I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Those are some mighty pretty pearls. Congratulations!

Douglas, you said you harvested some whites. Could you post some photos?

I have to join the chorus here! Thanks for sharing pictures of some of the new 2007 harvest, only on this forum are we privileged to see photos of the best. I too would love to see these pearls in person and handle them. Now what kind of pieces would they inspire?

Dfrey

Stunning. Congratulations. I need to add these pearls to my wish list!!

PearlStruck.com said:
Douglas, you said you harvested some whites. Could you post some photos?

Hmmm...today is a cloudy day (first rains of the year) so it is not a good day for taking photos of pearls. The light is not there...posted some photos of our lighter colored pearls yesterday. But let me add another one.

This photo shows a small Chineses FWP, our white Cortez and an American Bead (Pearl Nucleus) for color comparisson. Our pearl is more a very pale silver color...this one has a nice ros? coloration but cannot be seen clearly due to the fact that I took it inside my office.

Attachments

• White PMC comparisson forum.JPG
    White PMC comparisson forum.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 32
Now for some Keshi pearls. The rainy season is over (lasted one night) so I can take some more photos.

These keshi I have separated into groups...colors, shapes. Hope these are of interest to you.

Regards,

Attachments

• Big Keshi.JPG
    Big Keshi.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 35
These are several photos of keshis from this year's harvest.

Well, I have take a ton of photos...posted just a few. I hope these will help people catalogue the Sea of Cortez Pearl -or Cortez Pearl- as a reality. No longer a dream...but as with all the Good things in Life: just a precious few available.

Our hope is that by the year 2010 we will be able to increase quantity to some 6 Kilos. I guess that by then China will produce some 30 tons of Akoya, 2,000 tons of FWPs, Tahiti will be doing some 10 Tons and Aussies some 9 tons. We will never become major league players, but it is not our intention...what is our intention?

We tried -and succeded- in bringing this pearl back from history books and stories of lore. We are the "Guardians" of this pearl, and will protect it for as long as we are alive. By doing so we help to preserve both our Heritage and our Environment.

Thank You All for your comments and Praise.

Sincerely,

Douglas McLaurin - The MexScott

Attachments

• Colorful Keshi.JPG
    Colorful Keshi.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Keshi Bullets.JPG
    Keshi Bullets.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Keshi Size.JPG
    Keshi Size.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Light Color Keshi.JPG
    Light Color Keshi.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Nice Keshi.JPG
    Nice Keshi.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 35
What beautiful colors! What becomes of those little oddball shapes? They almost look like abalone pearls.

CortezPearls said:
We tried -and succeded- in bringing this pearl back from history books and stories of lore. We are the "Guardians" of this pearl, and will protect it for as long as we are alive. By doing so we help to preserve both our Heritage and our Environment.

We are honored to be able to bear witness to your passion. Thank you so much for sharing.

Back