auction of a Melo Melo

Gorgeous! What a pearl--- and what a setting! It will be interesting to see how high the auction ends.

Two of the photos and the description, in case the link is later lost:

Melo pendant.jpg

Melo in cage pendant close up.jpg

Size: 21,23x22,98 mm - Total weight: 25 g

Type: Necklace (More lots)
Material: Exceptional Natural pearl « MELO MELO » - SSEF certified, Natural pearls, Pearls from Gastropod, Saltwater pearls, White gold
Material Fineness: 18 kt.
Size: 21,23x22,98 mm
Total Weight: 25 g
Condition: New
Main Stone Treatment: No indication of treatments
Surrounding Stones: Diamond
Total carat weight surrounding stones: 0.66
Diamond Clarity Grade: VS1 / VS2
Diamond Colour Grade: G
EXCEPTIONAL ONE OF A KIND & HUGE NATURAL PEARL MELO MELO WITH FANTASTICS FLAMES - NECKLACE IN 18K WHITE GOLD & DIAMONDS. CERTIFIED SSEF LAB. (Not drilled)

Magnificent Natural Pearl MeloMelo with fantastic flames with its necklace and pendant in white gold 750°/oo with Diamonds total 0.66cts.
SSEF Laboratory certificate. For collectors or investors.

Metal : White gold 750°/oo with hallmarks
Total weight : 25 grams
Pearl size : 20,76x21,23x22,98 MM
Pearl weight : 76,018cts (304,072 grains)
Precious stones : Diamonds - approx. Total 0,66cts (G/VS)
Pearl : Natural from marine Gastropod MeloMelo snail
Shape : oval
Colour : orange with a distinct flame structure
Pearl origin : Vietnam

I love Purr's hot air balloons! And this pearl is amazing... over 20mm round!!

I'm thinking this is Shari-worthy. One would have to play with it.

The Melo Melo was not sold, the minimum bid was not reached, 2000 euro was offered.
Saw also a pair of beautiful golden 10.5 mm pearls with blue sapphires not getting sold @ 300 Euro because the minimum was not reached.

I know the pearl is amazing, but I can't shake the feeling I would be dangling a ping pong ball or golf ball between my breasts. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to design an object d'art to hold that amazing pearl, rather than a necklace.

Definitely on the wieldy side, without a sense of balance. The pearl's flame pattern is too irregular and inconsistent to attract top dollar, and its color, while correct, is neither a 'wow.' Altogether a pass. Smart bidders!

This does give me ideas for a perfect small conch (Blaire knows which one).

I dunno...I actually think it is quite spectacular, but then again I have always had a weakness for monsters...

Sheri

Back