Opinions about these

Oh my gosh! What a labor of love. I admire this whole process. Gail, you will officially become part of the pearl crazy group here after this dedicated project. Congratulations.

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. The project should be finished tomorrow and I will post a pic. In the end I was able to fit the 0.6 mm French wire into the clasp.

Here is the necklace. A bit crinkly after restring but hopefully it will smooth out. Thanks to all for help and encouragement. I still have a lot to learn.

Attachments

• IMG_20191017_130903.jpg
    IMG_20191017_130903.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20191017_132806.jpg
    IMG_20191017_132806.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51
Look at you! Well done. Very pretty necklace.

Wow! It looks great. You even got perfect spacing between the 3 strands, which is quite tricky to do. The crinkly will loosen up with wearing and get more drapey.

It looks fabulous! And yes, the necklace will smooth out over time as gravity does its work while you wear it.

Gail, your necklace looks just amazing, awesome knotting and problem-solving an advanced stringing project!! The crinkly effect will likely lessen over time as the strand relaxes and the knots tighten a tiny bit. The irregular shape of the pearls and how centered the drill holes make a difference also, but when worn isn't noticeable.

Be ready for compliments!

Gail5, I am stunned by both the beauty of your new necklace, and the fabulous job you did in restoring it to perfection ... truly a masterful job!!! Congratulations and wear it in good health and joy :) It was a privilege to see it's journey.

Congratulations on creating a lovely new treasure! Not easy to knot a 3 strander and get it to lay so perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind compliments. The necklace is already smoothing out quite a bit. Considering that this is only the second necklace I have restrung, I think it came out pretty well, although certainly someone more experienced could have done it much better. One thing I was not sure about was how much pressure to apply while pulling the thread to knot the pearls. I used the method with tweezers in which the thread is pulled through the tweezers and the knot brought close the pearl in the last stage of the knot formation. I noticed if I pulled very firmly, the knotted pearl strand became crinkly. On the other hand, if I did not pull very firmly, a little play remained around the knotted pearl. I guess there is a sweet spot in which there is no play but the knotted pearls still lie straight. I wasn't able to find this spot, especially with the little pearls on the ends. It might also be that the thread I chose was a little too thick. I chose the thickest thread so that the knots would be bigger and the strand would not come out too short. But maybe it would have been better to have used a little thinner thread and added a few more gold beads. I will try that next time!

Just love your special pearls and congratulations on your re-stringing.
Thank you for sharing the journey and enjoy every minute of wearing this prize piece.

It looks beautiful! Well done on such a complicated task, and thanks for sharing the process with us.

Back