parfaitelumiere natural pearl collection

News from today, a daisy ring with oldcut diamonds and natural pearl
The pearl is 7mm but damaged I will have to replace it.
IMG_1371.jpg

Very nice ring! The design is elegant...bad thing the pearl is damaged. Cracked?
But a nice, whiter, button shaped pearl will look better on it?

The 2-5,3mm pearl sized one is gorgeous ������

Very nice strand...and you can tel it's made out of naturals just with the shape of the pearls. Lovely clasp with security feature.
BTW...my macro lense is simply not up to standards :(
I have returned it and will need a new one.

The collection is bigger now.
View attachment 62150

Last time you posted this picture in my thread, I thought you were showing your beading board... How blunt I was! Your collection is amazing. I can't move my eyes away from that gorgeous tridacna pearl. What is the big dark brown and black natural pearl with less luster located between -2 and 2 if I may ask?

It is eye opening to see so many naturally round pearls (and in strands!). Thank you for sharing, parfaitelumiere.

WOW!!!! "Hammer Oysters" are from the Malleus malleus species!
Those are VERY VERY RARE!!!! OMG!!! And you have 3 of them!!!

This is the animal:
640px-Naturalis_Biodiversity_Center_-_ZMA.MOLL.1264_-_Malleus_malleus_%28Linnaeus%2C_1758%29_-_Malleidae_-_Mollusc_shell.jpg

Regardless...these are absolutely rare. I always wanted to try my hand at raising Malleus oysters in a farm, but they are not from around here so that cut me short! But I love these funky shells and I always wanted to see these pearls.

Does anyone know why the shape of hammer oyster pearls look similar to the shell, like a tilted "T" shape? Its mother of pearl is not in that shape - it's nearly rounded trapezoid or rounded rectangle, according to pictures I found by Google. Since pearls originated from external irritation, they shouldn't be something coded in gene, should they? Or is some anatomy part(s) where hammer oyster pearl forms in this shape? Three of them in this unique shape, I tend not to believe it's an coincidence.

Does anyone know why the shape of hammer oyster pearls look similar to the shell, like a tilted "T" shape? Its mother of pearl is not in that shape - it's nearly rounded trapezoid or rounded rectangle, according to pictures I found by Google. Since pearls originated from external irritation, they shouldn't be something coded in gene, should they? Or is some anatomy part(s) where hammer oyster pearl forms in this shape? Three of them in this unique shape, I tend not to believe it's an coincidence.

Sometimes the shell does have a "saying"...I've seen snail pearls that have the "torsion" of the shell...as if the animal was making a "smaller version of its shell", perhaps it's the intrinsic mathematical nature of...Nature!
Wish I knew...and with so few pearls available it will be hard to deduct the reasons...if ever.

Sometimes the shell does have a "saying"...I've seen snail pearls that have the "torsion" of the shell...as if the animal was making a "smaller version of its shell", perhaps it's the intrinsic mathematical nature of...Nature!
Wish I knew...and with so few pearls available it will be hard to deduct the reasons...if ever.

Thank you, Douglas. That makes sense to me.

This is something that kind of "dawned upon me" years ago when inspecting some snail pearls...and then the Nautilus pearls came...even if the shape of the pearl did not have the look, the inner pattern did. Amazing fractal nature.

Douglas, whatever the origin of those translucent and fascinating 'Nautilus' pearls, the vortical structure remains mysterious (and contradictory to everything we are taught about pearl formation) except in terms of pure mathematics. The wonders of nature.

Heads up here, that among the possible explanations we seriously considered and discarded for those pearls was opercula, which the above comments may actually describe.

Back