Natural vs cultured?

CherryBlossom

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, been following your lovely threads for a while. I want to show you my pearls just to know if they are natural or cultured. I have inherited these pearls from my paternal grandmother when I was a little girl, they were part of a multi-strand necklace with 21 k gold and gem stone clasp and dividers that is 60 years old or more. I am originally from the middle east and I am suspecting them to be Basra pearls.
Please let me know what you think? even if they turn out to be cultured , they are very precious to me.
Don't mind the stringing, I did a very bad job. I am going to string them again
Thanks. jewellery sketch, the starting point of our designs.We are so lucky working in the beautiful country side of Oakura. In 2014 we have planted over 100 naIMG_0167.JPG

Hello everyone,
I am originally from the middle east and I am suspecting them to be Basra pearls.
Please let me know what you think? even if they turn out to be cultured , they are very precious to me.

Hello CherryBlossom, welcome to PG.

Natural vs CFWP

Luster ---------- 0.5 - 0.5 Consistent with either, matching not precise.
Shape ---------- 0.5 - 0.5 Non graded match more common in natural strands, but easily replicated in FWP.
Inclusions ------ 0.5 - 0.5 Circular growth fronts. Common in FWP, but not uncommon in natural.
Matching ------- 0.5 - 0.5 Not matched. Common in natural, but replicated in FWP.
Structure ------- 0.5 - 0.5 Known to be terraced aragonite, consistent with either.
Size ------------- 0.5 - 0.5 Consistent with either but non matched grade suggest a small natural source, but again... replicated in fakes.
Color ------------ 0.5 - 0.5 Slightly varied but consistent with either. Distinctly white, untreated.
Translucency --- 0.5 - 0.5 Not uniform, but some variation.
Onset------------ 0.0 - 0.0 Onset not determined. Image quality is not adequate to make this determination. No point scored.
Nuclear --------- 0.5 - 0.5 No shell beads present.

Natural - 4.5
CFWP - 4.5

Score 50%

There's inadequate data to determine the origin of these pearls. Nonetheless, I ran a score sheet and arrived at a perfect split. That rarely happens. In the absence of objective lab analysis, the purpose of the score is not necessarily definitive, but a guideline whether a piece warrants further investigation.

A score of 50 to 80 merits a trip to the lab. 80-100 not so much, because the evidence strongly favors an opinion.

At a cursory glance, I accept your provenance at face value. While some things change over the life of a strand (ie) clasp change when restrung and those who receive inheritances may not always have the story correct, I don't have a reason to suggest deception on your part. Please believe me when I tell you, I've seen some elaborate (and many not so elaborate) fakes. A skeptical eye, if you will.

Natural strands tend to be mismatched. Whether graduated or compromised in one or more features. High end strands tend to be matched from large pools of pearls, whereas small pools produce more of a folk art appearance due to several limitations.

If at all possible, I'd like to see candled views of these pearls without the strings. I did not score a point for onset, because I cannot see what's at the nucleus, yet may bring me to a conclusion if made available. If you're unsure what this is or what it means in my analysis, please visit this thread.

Culture pearls have uniform contrasts. Natural pearls will have inconsistent signatures, dark spots, streaks or no visible nucleus at all.

I appreciate they're precious to you. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Last edited:
thank you for your elaborate analysis. I checked the thread you included and I will try and do the candle test and upload photos.

Back