The market for 5-6mm fw pearl ropes 22-54"?

Oh, Thank you Jeremy! You do know there is a mystique about not sharing this stuff! Thank you!

I've gone back and read that again. It is different than mine. Reminds me of the tee-shirt folding trick, know what I mean?

Last edited:
For a 100-incher (and by now most projects) I use a tri-cord knotter with doubled silk. When you have the technique down, messing up with a tri-cord knotter is significantly harder than getting it straight.

Zeide

Pull a single pearl down to the left, separate the thread with thumb and index from your right, pull the knotted side around under the thumb and through the loop made by the separation pull the knotted side around under the thumb and through the loop made by the separation . Let go and let the knot slip into the exact place you like.
I think I almost got it.
You have all the pearls strung when you begin? On a doubled silk thread with a very thin needle.
Which end would be the one that could tie around the waist? If one end were around your waist, you would pull the pearls towards you as you knot? Or away?
Pull a single pearl down to the left,
with which hand?
separate the thread with thumb and index from your right
, with the same or different hand?
pull the knotted side around under the thumb and through the loop made by the separation and pulling it back to your right
Not quite sure what you mean by knotted side. That's the side with the already knotted pearls?
thanks

There's a trick to doing the longer ropes. You can do the 100" ropes in sections of 3, which keeps the thread cleaner and reduces fraying. Do the first 32 inches normally, then splice in a new thread through the last 5 pearls. You'll want the last 5 pearls drilled slightly larger so you can use two threads, then keep going on the new thread for another 32", do another splice through 5 pearls, then do the last 32" and finish the necklace. Done right, it is nearly impossible to determine where the splices are.

Well, the first problem you have is that I said "tie it around your wrist" not your waist. :D I would love to have seen that though:D

Yes, you need to begin with all the pearls on a string. But most strands you should just be able to pull directly onto the thread from the temp strand.

Put the clasp on one side and start their to the left (your left hand if you are right handed).

Try it again with your wrist and take your waist out of the equation and let me know if you are able to get it!;)

the difficult art of stringing pearls into a rope

the difficult art of stringing pearls into a rope

Hi Caitlin, Zeide, Terry, Jeremy and all other members!

It is quite hilarious to read every post on this difficult task. I myself have no idea whatsoever how to string and even though I have got good advice from Zeide, I don?t think I can manage it. Even though reading through the articles time after time, I am still left completely in the dark about this mystique of stringing....

Caitlin, now You seem to have understood quite well, what Jeremy is talking about as you have used a couple of different methods.
What about a post where you do explain it step by step from the very beginning and then, maybe, if I am lucky, I too will be able to understand....

Great advice also from Terry and Zeide... where do I get all the needles and thread over here in Europe?

:) Inge Jernberg

Back