PP's 6.5-7mm multicolour freshwater strand

Big embrace, pearlie buds!

I actually didn't mean to be lecturing either - in my mind there's a good chance you're all too young to remember or know about those pearls and days.

So, I guess it's no mystery that we all ended up here...
we've found our pearl-bed.

Last edited:
We could always revive Wendy's thread about 'Your first pearls', if we get an urge to share.

Last edited:
There is a way to get the smell out of the celluloid but it takes time and patience: take off the lid and leave it off, so that the celluloid is exposed to the open air. Then just wait. Use another jar to save your pearl $$ in the meantime.

It can take months to a year, but look at it this way: the time is going to pass anyway. At the end of that time, wouldn't you rather have a box that doesn't stink?

I once got the strong smell of stale cigarettes out of a very nice leather bag I bought at Goodwill, just by airing it in my basement over time.

I also have lots of older pearls, from the '80s, '90s and early 2000s, some dyed, and I still love them! They make interesting jewelry when strung with gemstone beads, furnace glass beads, etc. And I happen to like wearing the colorful baroque and potato pearls that have at least some metallic sheen, even if their overall quality is commercial. I spend most of my time doing unglamorous things that do not call for high end jewelry. (Of course, I also love to wear my nicest pieces.)

Nor do I only wear genuine pearls. I have an assortment of Majorica imitation pieces in different colors and sizes. My current favorite is a 12mm aubergine round strand. Although this brand is pricey if bought new, pre-owned pieces can be had for relatively little, so I have no regrets about money that could have been saved toward top quality pearls (or anything else).

I suspect many of us on P-G are in our 50s and beyond. :D

A way Mom taught me to get rid of odors in plastic is to leave it out overnight, with water in it. I'll try that again - I never considered doing it for a year, but why not! She uses borax, too. Thanks for pointing out that times for a process don't have to be short.

Mmmm, nope. I did purchase a huge bag of baking soda from SAMs, tho. Just haven't followed through yet.

From old experiments, I know it's going to be a long process. I mean, this celluloid reeked! I ought to look for the receipt, I think I know where it is. That'll tell me how many years it's taken just to even fade the scent. Let's see...

Bought in Feb 2007, from Wexford Antique market. Wow, 8yrs. Maybe it's as good as it gets.
Nah. I'm going to go look up celluloid, do a little research. Thanks for the lovely thread, I've enjoyed
it :-D

Last edited:
If you do try the baking soda, bury the piece an inch deep or so, in a little dish, and put another inch or so on top. Then leave for at least a week; repeat longer if necessary. Good luck, Lisa C :_

Thanks CathyK...(me and my buried treasure...just like the beach)

A beach and buried treasure sounds like a great idea right now in PA ... our thermometer just crossed the zero line, heading down ... without factoring in the wind ... yikes!

Hi Cathy, That's what I was thinking, too. -8* at 7a.m. now up to 0* again in Pittsburgh. Just keep thinking "it'll pass, it'll pass, it'll pass". Like a stone, y'know?

Lowest hubby recorded here "in the east" was -2; back up to 9+ and sunny now ... a heat wave! Maybe this is why I love my pearls so much; I think of them all growing in warm tropical waters, surrounded by colorful fish, palm trees, sun ... sun ... sun LOL :)

JerseyPearl, my husband (who grew up in OCNJ) came running in from the kitchen (weather channel and drives me nuts LOL) just to give me the ocean temp last night; that one got his attention! His father used to put old air compressors out on the docks, with air hoses in the water, to pipe bubbles up around the pilings to keep the bay from freezing and lifting the pilings on the next tide ... SOMETIMES it worked :) And sometimes the pilings were at a 45 degree angle in the spring. I'm all for any excuse to wear Tahitians!

We just have to wear our personal "summer" Tahitians every day, JerseyPearl :) My father-in-law's big, heavy compressors filled up the garage, which also held the pantry I cooked from every day, the second refrigerator, all the bikes, the surf boards, the kids beach toys ... ... ... every day there was a fuss over those compressors as we tripped over them LOL. Stay warm; we're getting another 8 inches of snow today :)

And we too have a second fridge in the garage (well actually inside the laundry room which is off the garage) and two washers and dryers...one for clothes, the other for beach towels, bathing suits and anything else used outdoors! No snow here yet, but we expect it to start soon.

Oh, JerseyPearl that brings back decades of memories ... when the kids (5 cousins, only one of which was mine) were really little, they used to get a good dunking in the utility tub inside the back door to get off as much beach sand as possible before going in the real tubs LOL.

We just got a good dousing with the garden hose to remove the sand. Always wanted to be first because the water was warmer from the hose sitting in the sun.

We had an outside shower, and there was the same fight over that sun warmed water, Marianne :)

Back