PP's 6.5-7mm multicolour freshwater strand

LOL, Red - were you being "Ironic"? (I underlined little)

Not really, but now that you mention it, how big is your cut glass jar? Inquiring minds need to know so we can select the proper size pearls for that pretty lid. ;)

Last edited:
The cut glass bowl alone is 4" diameter x 2" tall; not so little and not so big. The cast-lily-leaves section is the wind-up key, 2 1/4" tall. :-D. The whole darn thing makes me smile.

I'll actually have a use for my earliest ebay-Mis-represented-pearl wins. You know, those "AAA shiny rounds" of many years ago, that actually look like this Some have a teacup or bell shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
BTW, I don't expect raves here, I'm playing with my iPhone and history-pearls, only having fun. :)

If baking soda does not remove the smell from the celluloid, you might take the piece to a place like Michaels ? their frame shop should be able to cut a new piece of material (maybe heavy template plastic) to the right shape.

Ah, Marianne, good one! LOL, thank you! Let me stop laughing, give me a minute...
ok..., no wait....( Snort, wiping my eyes)
Ok..., huff! Yes, they're drilled. We're Couth here...

hey, Marianne, where's your 'museum pearls' sentence? Everybody's going to think I'm nuts ROFLMAO without that comment.

Last edited:
Whooooooaaa Kath, yours must've been awesomely better than mine :-O

Last edited:
Sorry Lisa, I removed that sentence after seeing that they were already drilled. As for the museum quality part, did not want any new folk to take it as snarky. (Now, I have the ability to get snarky with the best of em, just choose not to do it in print :)

Yes, I read the thread and was wondering how a mention of Michael's framing shops engendered such mirth. :confused:

Thank you for the explanation.

If baking soda does not remove the smell from the celluloid, you might take the piece to a place like Michaels … their frame shop should be able to cut a new piece of material (maybe heavy template plastic) to the right shape.

"Are your museum specimen pearls drilled? :)"

that was at the end of her post, and I thought it was hysterical because... Well, I don't know. Things've changed so much in pearls since 2009.

I just came across an old post where someone said they were going to put on their very large pearls - and those pearls were 7mm! :-o. Newer pearl buyers think that's a very ingenue-ish size. These little white pearls of mine are from the olden days, the early Chinese rejects, veeeeerrrry small.

...Ok, ok, I've got it! Maybe.

It's funny because it's a reference to our na?vet?, and the learning curve we went through as the stars in our eyes and gambling urge blinded us, :cool:and early unscrupulous sellers on ebay had their way with us.

LOL, and they surely did have their way with us, at least once! Some of us twice, maybe three times.:eek::rolleyes: or perhaps a time or two more (cough, cough)

Last edited:
(Thank you Red and BAS, for giving the thread/joke a new punch-up today. You guys had Perfect timing and delivery, and another belly laugh...what a great way to start the day)

Last edited:
Got it! I think we all have pearls we are no longer oh-so-proud to own, but they are part of (the early part of) our personal pearl journey.

Got it! I think we all have pearls we are no longer oh-so-proud to own, but they are part of (the early part of) our personal pearl journey.

Really? Even you new kids? That's good to know; I've been kind of intimidated, thinking you guys skipped the early stuff and went straight to the big time, no mis-steps.

I've got rice krispies and potatoes with the best of them!

lisa c - I missed nothing, took every step! Maybe we should start a post of our "early years" but then again it would probably be way too embarassing. And I've hidden them all to well lol!

My first purchase was dyed freshwaters from Catherine Cardellini. Only about 7mm. I had a lot of fun with them, but have moved on. It really wasn't all that long ago.

Of course, I was so intimidated by Pearl-Guide that my first post here was about my Kamoka earrings, which come darn close to museum quality.

Back