PP's 6.5-7mm multicolour freshwater strand

moonpie

Or triple strand.....

Anyone here have either of the above and willing to share a neck shot? :)

Even in a different size...I'm just trying to get a sense of the colour.

Cheers!

I had, but wanted a few pictures so I could compare. Doesn't really matter now I don't think I'll be getting them; reading another thread made me realise I'd rather save for the 1 amazing piece I'm really after.

moonpie, if you are just starting out with pearls then I agree a prized strand is worth saving for...there will always be another sale, and amazing pearls. One thing to consider, if you are looking for multicolor...think about a tin cup in sterling silver with freshwater pearls. I find I reach for my tin cups more often than any other style of pearls.

image.jpgimage.jpgAlso, some of the bigger merchants have enough pearls that you could request strong saturated colors or pastels, or barely tinted, or cool tones or warm tones, with a strong likelihood that they'll have them in stock. So then, I'd be more concerned about getting the right size for you for a necklace, not too small.
hmmm, well, I didn't post the photos exactly right. Anyway,

top photo: multicolored 7.5-8.5mm pearl strand nested above PP AAA 6.5-7mm lavenders
bottom photo: PP AAA 6.5-7mm 18" strand by itself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eta - If you're truly pointing your husband to this thread...

Both necklaces are true mm sizes, I measured.

Of the larger strand (I don't know the maker)
-strong color, up close and from a distance
-the side pearls are off-round, but not obnoxiously.
the center pearls are closer to round
-luster (my words only)
Roughly 15% sharp (8/53), 45%good, the rest ok, except for 1 true dud. It had a nice color and was very round, but truly 'dud-ly' luster-wise)

*(eta I revised 'luster' rating v after re-reading PP educational info. My brain kept refining what I was seeing the longer I looked at each pearl (like a HDR feature on a camera). Maybe the faster you read the strand, the more accurate? If one has a weird brain?)*

The PP AAA strand is remarkable for
-the consistent color (rich!),
-sharp luster all over the strand, except for 1 less admirable pearl, and
-clean surface (amazingly).
-They're off-round at the sides, approach True Round at the center front :-O. ( By True Round, I mean really a truly round ball. Eight-way-rollers.) Only a fussy eye would say these aren't round.
I suppose you go to Freshadama for closest- to true-round.

My neck is 14.5" at the base.

Last edited:
Jersey pearl,I am just starting out and the look of golden south seas is what really inspired my interest in pearls. I did consider a tincup south sea strand but again it would be a substitute for what I really want - a strand of deep golden, round, blemish free excellent luster (perhaps graduated) golden strand.

Aah.....

Thank you Lisa for those pictures, your strands are gorgeous.

I admire your restraint as well, it will pay off. You'll be happy with better quality pearls.

and thank you for the compliments, I'm very happy with my pearls, though I certainly can't take credit for them. I had a very bad year for appliances, but a terrific last quarter for pearl presents! The necklaces above were birthday and Christmas gifts :-D Yea!

Last edited:
Hopefully I stay restrained...every time I visit PP (and I do visit a lot) I see something and think how did I miss you before!

My wishlist is piling up and for now lusting after the pictures is keeping me somewhat satisfied but I know that method will only work for so long. My mantra has become must stay focused!!!

Lisa they sure are beautiful presents you're a lucky girl! I'll have to direct my hubby to this page later..

Yes, I'm lucky! I get waaaay more joy from pearls than appliances (well, I don't have to take care of children, mine are grown, or I might care for appliances more. Still, heat and hot water are great!).

Here's another thought - some of our posters get multiple gifts rolled into one. If you're not in heaven financially, this reasoning helps.

Last edited:
Ha I like your thinking Lisa!

Guys help me!! I'm feeing very weak..I think I'm about to cave. I keep browsing and reading (and breathing, sleeping, dreaming) about pearls and I love looking at everyone's collections on the net and now I need to buy something. Pearly and sparkly. I really need to

Like I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I'm telling myself this first bit of abstinence is the hardest - please tell me it gets easier!

I think I'm going to crack.

It does not get easier. It gets harder. I'm all about the truth.

If you're going to cave, I'd recommend going metallic. Metallic multi color freshwater round or drop, metallic souffle, metallic fireball -- I'm crazy about metallic pearls.

It's easier to wait and save up if one stays off discussion boards.
But what fun is that?

Bas thanks for your brutal honesty. I had a look at the metallics...add a few diamonds here and there and they are to die for. I love pearls with diamonds.

Kelluvpearls - thanks exactly what I needed. I need to save the strand I want as my screen saver or something to remind me of my ultimate goal...

Pearl dreams, I know right? But it's not going to happen haha

Moonpie, I've managed to be able to hang out here and not buy. This is because I don't really wear pearls much these days and most of what I have I didn't even wear when they were new - all of those lower end. I recommend wearing what you do have until you're tired of it :) Then decide what is missing in the collection. Or even better - save for that one amazing piece that you will admire every day even when you're not wearing it.

- Karin

Thanks for that pep talk Karin, you are of course completely right. I'm such a compulsive buyer I buy first then think 'do I actually want this' after. However having said that, I've always admired my mother's jewellery growing up and she's always had a modest but exceptional pieces collection which has influenced my buying habits - I tend to go the 'more expensive, less items' route and I don't like hoarding things either lol.

Be strong! Otherwise you'll not have any money to buy the pieces you really want, and will end up with a drawer full of what will feel like expensive costume jewelry. (By which I mean stuff that you are unlikely to truly treasure the way you would a special piece).

Back